Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than
260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies
, WordStream, and
and U.K. media company Newsquest.
There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit
The Clarion-Ledger/clarionledger.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a strong storyteller and passionate journalist to cover health.
Mississippi ranks last, or close to last, in almost every leading health outcome in the nation. The right candidate must understand how to ferret out stories that point to solutions for improving these outcomes.
The health reporter will be expected to identify important stories, break news, and cover fast-moving daily developments at the state and local level.
This reporter should have a demonstrated ability to deliver stories quickly on deadline and write authoritatively for local and state as well as national audiences.
This reporter needs to be able to connect with humans and find the real-life people who are affected by policy decisions and trends, including some of our communitys most vulnerable people. Developing sources among elected officials, health care leaders and front-line workers, social service providers and others is key. Our ideal candidate must also not be afraid to dig into the details of legislation or a big data set.
In any given week, our health reporter might be writing about statewide stay-at-home orders, vaccine rollouts, plans to address communities plans for dealing with homelessness or a fraud scandal at a local healthcare network. We expect a mix of daily news stories and longer narrative and enterprise pieces.
- Produce a mix of daily, enterprise and in-depth articles that break new ground and are accurate, compelling and revelatory for a digital audience.
- Cultivate sources and keep a pulse on the health care beat in the Jackson Mississippi Metro and Mississippi as a whole.
- Collaborate with journalists at other Gannett newsrooms on stories of regional and national interest.
- Incorporate contemporary digital journalism tools in day-to-day reporting, including basic digital photo and video, social media and other web-based journalism tools.
- Learn and integrate new skills as they become relevant to our mission, in a cross-functional and highly collaborative newsroom.
- Connecting with the community through reporting and outreach (social media, on camera, live video, podcasts, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Building deep relationships with sources and readers using social media and old-fashioned tools like conversation.
- Bachelor's or Masters in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with strong internships.
- At least three years in journalism, preferably with experience covering health.
- Proficiency navigating regulatory filings, data sets and public records.
- Reliably clear and compelling copy, whether with quick breaking news or in-depth investigations.
- Competence with digital journalism tools including social media, metrics tools like Google Analytics, internet-based research and digital publishing platforms.
- Experience with data journalism techniques is a plus.
- Strong grasp of AP style and grammar.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.
is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Columnist and Journalist