Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than
260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies
, WordStream, and
and U.K. media company Newsquest.
There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit
Mississippi Statewide Reporter
The Clarion-Ledger/clarionledger.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a statewide reporter to cover politics, produce in-depth reporting on issues that impact Mississippians, and play a key role reporting on the Mississippi Legislature.
The ideal candidate is an investigative reporter at heart who has the skills to dig into an issue but also the storytelling ability to show readers how an issue affects them and their families.
He or she should be adept at source development, have experience using public records, databases and other digital-focused tools and demonstrate a proven ability to meet daily and long-range deadlines. He or she must be ready to look into the business practices, finances, and conduct in the office of major political figures in Mississippi on both the state and national level.
Experience covering state government, elections and political events is a plus.
- Watchdog coverage of the Mississippi State House, including the governor and the Legislature
- Reporting about Mississippi state agencies, with an eye toward revealing wrongdoing
- Writing about campaigns and elections in Mississippi, including for municipal, state, and federal office.
- Makes it a mission to inform and engage readers through a combination of breaking news, mobile-friendly explainer stories, live chats and other non-traditional story forms as well as watchdog reporting and narratives. This requires answering from the get-go how a story can deliver benefits to our target audiences.
- Uses data, records and source development to provide deep and thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with influencers and engaged readers through social media.
- Is comfortable and enthusiastic about using multiple and appropriate social media channels to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Collaborates with other political reporters in the network as assigned.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Bachelor's or masters in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three years of reporting experience and working at a news organization.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience's time and money.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.
is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Columnist and Journalist