Data Warehouse Manager - Ad Platforms Engineering
Austin , Texas , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Jan 14, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200209397
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people's lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in the App Store. Our platforms are highly performant, deployed at scale, and set new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy! We are seeking a leader to help build a data warehouse and associated management capabilities. Providing accountability for defining and delivering strategy for a differentiated set of products. This role serves as a technical manager of a data engineering team, responsible for driving the development, execution, and continuous improvement of new and existing policies, capabilities, and process. You will directly enable both our core products and our internal teams of analysts, business users, and data scientists. A successful candidate will have previous experience leading teams of engineers and data architects, designing data warehousing systems and products, creating data models for reporting and analytics. They will also have experience leveraging traditional ETL and data generation technologies as well as a keen understanding of distributed data storage and processing technologies such as Spark, Kafka, EMR, and Hadoop.
- 8+ years professional experience with the practical application of data warehousing concepts, and methodologies
- Experience with various (SparkSQL, Hadoop, Kafka, Snowflake, Vertica) distributed technologies
- Understanding of modern data architectures, staying on top of developments, and are aware of what other leading players are doing
- The ability to manage, cultivate, and grow technical teams
- Experience with platform approaches to data architecture at scale and supporting data science teams
- Ability to differentiate multiple file formats including Avro, SequenceFile, JSON, Parquet, and ORC a plus
- SparkSQL, Hive, Athena, Druid, Presto, Cassandra, or other big data query engine experience a plus
- Advanced skills using one or more scripting languages (e.g., Python, bash, etc.) a plus
- Experience applying data encryption and data security standards
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a business-focused audience
- Most importantly, do you have a sense of humor and an eagerness to learn?
Within Ad Platforms, we are constantly building and deploying new products crafted to provide amazing user experiences for our customers and drive value for developers and publishers. We are looking for you to guide the evolution of our data capabilities to meet the challenges growing scale and complexity in what we deliver. You will play a meaningful role in building a data warehouse that delivers on Apple's privacy commitments to our customers that is designed to change the way advertising works with data. - Lead the design and instantiation of a privacy first data warehouse capability to enable online and offline consumption of data by various stakeholders. - Define and institute best practices in data warehouse storage, governance, processing, copy/synchronization, lifecycle management, etc. appropriate to the scale and maturity of our products - Work with cross functional teams to prototype new concepts and deliver end-to-end systems in an agile setting - Produce high quality processes that lead to the productive use of data systems with excellent reliability and scalability - Requires a strong understanding of the intersection between business, analytics, and engineering resulting in a proactive approach, focusing on reusable solutions, to improve efficiency and time to insight - Must be able to work in a rapidly changing environment and perform optimally in a sprint-based, agile development environment - A passion to reinforce and enrich an engineering team culture, driving team engagement and happiness!
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required, Master's Degree in Computer Science or other Engineering field strongly desired