Support and sustain efforts to expand cancer prevention programs, tobacco avoidance/education/cessation programs to the community, especially among vulnerable, high-risk populations, and medically underserved populations. Establish and maintain relationships and collaborations with community partners across Anne Arundel County and neighboring counties, as appropriate. Conduct tobacco cessation classes and individual tobacco treatment counseling services in accordance with established course curriculum guidelines developed by AAMC Cancer Prevention Nurses, Oncology Nursing Society, American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, American College of Surgeons CoC , Quality Oncology Practice Initiative and other quality and standard setting organizations as approved by the Cancer Committee.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions may be made available.
- Knowledge of public & community health principles in assessing, planning and implementing health promotion programs. Coordinates resources and implements health education programs offered at the AAMC campus, and in various community setting for diverse populations. Represents the AAMC DeCesaris Cancer Institute, Cancer Prevention Department in a professional manner, as a participant in internal and external community health event planning meetings.
- Network with key community stakeholders including, but not limited to county governments, public/private school systems, faith-based organizations, workplaces, and other non-profit organizations in order to improve and expand community engagement through education and outreach in the community.
- Ability to communicate health information effectively with diverse populations.
- Coordinate resources and participates in grant writing and implementation to support Cancer Prevention and organizational initiatives.
- Plan, teach and evaluate tobacco cessation classes and other cancer prevention topics. Conduct evidence-based individual counseling with clients, utilizing Motivational Interviewing techniques. Course curriculums/counseling are evidence-based, supported by local, state and national organizations, and approved by the Cancer Committee.
- Communicate in written and verbal format on a regular basis to keep the Cancer Prevention team and manager informed of activities and outcomes.
- Attend community outreach meetings, staff meetings, training and other pertinent meetings or classes as scheduled by manager.
- Document patient encounters, including assessment and follow up data, in the Electronic Medical Record, always maintaining patient confidentiality. Collect and compile program data to prepare statistical logs and reports.
- Collect and enter Community Benefit Reporting data. Participate in quality improvement processes and data collection to measure and improve health and patient outcomes.
- Attend community outreach activities such as church events, health fairs, physician office visits, hospital visits etc., as requested by the cancer prevention manager. Obtain needed supplies and equipment for classes and events in order to conduct outreach activities effectively and efficiently.
- Associates degree required / bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience in related field of work.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills.
- Demonstrate competency in tobacco treatment.
- Certification in Health Education Specialty (CHES) preferred.
- Bi-lingual, Spanish speaking a plus.
- Obtain required certification/qualification in tobacco treatment within 6 months of hire.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.