Product Design Engineer - Input Devices
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Jan 27, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200218596
Apple Inc. is looking for a Mechanical Engineer, with an interest in User-Interface (UI) and User-Interaction (UX), to design new input device products, subsystems, and modules to support the Mac and iPad product lines. The candidate will primarily work on ground up designs in partnership with materials science, electrical engineering, manufacturing, and operations teams. The candidate's responsibilities will include technology development and concept generation, detailed design, analysis, prototyping, and testing from project initiation through entry to mass production. Input device design benefits from special attention to ergonomics and the interaction between the user and the product.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely-related major is required.
- Mechanical design experience during schooling or employment.
- Willingness to work in team environment, and dependably completes individual deliverables.
- Ability to describe design issues in summary and in detail, using quantitative analysis and relevant graphical representations.
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing techniques or electrical engineering principles can be developed on the job.
- Consumer electronics industry experience not required. Prior experience in other relevant industries promotes diverse perspectives and approaches to problems. Example industries may include medical devices, automotive, aerospace, marine, transportation, power generation, or robotics.
- Develop new product layouts, assembly methods, and technologies, including mechanisms, sensors, or other electromechanical systems. - Explore multiple product form factors and kinematic behaviors to support ergonomic optimization, partner with industrial design team on concepts and detailed design. Provide and accept constructive feedback in brainstorming and design review forums. - Partner with cross-functional teams to integrate subsystems, and produce detailed design and 2D specification of all parts and assemblies. Participate in discussions with electrical engineering teams when necessary. - Construct models to prove function, manufacturability, or robustness. Coordinate FEA activities or perform FEA to validate mechanisms, sensor performance, or product integrity prior to design release. - Perform tolerance analyses to verify adherence to functional and cosmetic requirements in the presence of high-volume dimensional variation. - Interact with engineering teams, operations teams, and suppliers to develop manufacturing processes and tooling concepts, typically including travel to Asia to support build activities. Assist in troubleshooting manufacturing issues. - Analyze data generated from prototype builds and lab experiments to motivate design changes or validate solutions. - Find root cause of and solutions to component or product issues that may arise, and work with engineering teams, operations teams, or suppliers to enable successful and timely shipment to customers.
Education & Experience