Boulder , Colorado , United States
Posted: Jan 27, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200219385
The panel process and optics (PPO) team crafts and develops the groundbreaking display technologies to support Apple's extraordinary product pipeline. This includes the optimization & integration of display materials, optics, and process to deliver outstanding display optical & mechanical performances. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering perfection, creativity, and innovation. As part of Apple PPO's research and development team, you will be working with some of the smartest and most hardworking people in the field, and will be contributing to exciting new products that will touch lives of millions and enrich your career with invaluable experience. We are looking for a Lab Technician with a background in liquid formulation, analytical chemistry, and materials science. The incumbent will be responsible for executing standard operating procedures (SOPs) and lab safety protocols from senior members of the team to provide a variety of technical support on a routine basis. The technical support includes, but is not limited to, activities such as mixing liquid formulations, characterizing raw chemicals using standard analytical instruments, as well as measuring various optical and physical properties. A successful candidate must be a high-energy tactical execution specialist and a phenomenal teammate, with a friendly can-do demeanor and a strong sense of urgency.
- >3 years of experience in a chemistry R&D / manufacturing lab or a similar environment
- Working knowledge of lab equipments and instruments such as balance, vacuum pump, mixing equipment etc.
- Must be willing and able to understand and carry out the tasks following instructions / SOPs from senior scientists
- Must be willing and able to follow lab safety protocols such as wearing PPEs at all times
- Strong written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong multi-tasking, problem solving, and time management skills
- Stable work history
- Perform routine analyses of raw materials following simple standard operating procedures (SOPs) - Handle solid and liquid raw materials/components to formulate liquid formulations following work instructions / SOPs from senior scientists with 'right the first time' execution - Prepare samples, collect material characterization data, and document results in the data spreadsheets following the SOPs - Perform basic calibration and preventative maintenance on basic equipments to ensure EH&S compliance in laboratory - Support the management of lab supplies, chemical inventory, lab housekeeping and EH&S related work - Perform all duties with a high degree of dedication and adherence to safety and environmental stewardship
Education & Experience
High school diploma required; Associate's Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science preferred
- Preferred Qualifications:
- - >5 years of experience handling chemical receiving, inventory, lab supplies, housekeeping, and instrument calibration is a plus
- - >5 years of experience with carrying out existing SOPs for analytical and material characterization tools such as UV-Vis spectroscopy, FTIR / Raman spectroscopy, titrations, gas / liquid chromatography, haze-meter, and refractometer
- - Familiarity with liquid formulation mixing and preparation following SOPs
- - Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- - Experience in Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) regulated environment or good understanding of current GMPs is a plus
- At Apple, we see the whole you. We carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors, including your background and experience. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary. Lab Technician starts at a minimum annual salary of $40,400. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Every Apple employee also has the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder, because all team members are eligible for stock grants and also a discount when purchasing Apple stock.
- We offer all kinds of ways to experience well-being, confidence, and satisfaction. Learn more about Apple benefits.
- Note: Apple benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.