SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD - PART TIME
US-UT-Salt Lake City
Street crossing guard at school crossings during hours when children are going to or coming from school. Directs actions of children and traffic at street intersections to ensure safe crossing. Records license numbers of vehicles disregarding traffic signals and reports infractions to Crossing Guard Coordinator. May escort children across street. Place traffic cones at designated points before going on duty and remove signs at end of shift.
Job will remain open until filled. May close at anytime without notice.
- Working at an assigned cross walk, as children arrive, take them safely across the street, watching traffic closely and stopping cars if necessary.
- Observe road traffic to determine best timing for road crossing; admit children into designated crossing locations; escort and assist children and pedestrians as needed to ensure safe crossing.
- Controlling a STOP paddle effectively to provide approaching road users with a clear, fully direct view of the paddle’s stop message during the entire crossing movement.
- Prepare school crossing zone by placing warning cones in the street and turning on the flashing lights to ensure safety. When children are finished crossing, remove cones from street and turn off lights.
- Inspect all crossing signage and street conditions for damage and notify proper authorities so the problem can be addressed immediately.
- Monitor behavior of children and educate children regarding traffic safety procedures.
- Process is repeated twice daily when children travel to and from school.
- Communicate all safety hazards to the Crossing Guard Coordinator.
- Some knowledge of local traffic laws and basic traffic safety.
- Must be able to see, hear, and quickly and accurately respond to emergency safety situations.
- Ability to communicate instructions clearly, firmly, and courteously.
- Regular and prompt attendance is required. You must be available during school hours within the Salt Lake City School District.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- May also be required to attend training outside of school crossing assignments.
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for Sedentary Work.
- Requires walking or standing to a significant degree.
- Requires the ability to step on and off the curb.
- The ability to meet the physical demands defined above.
- Correctable eyesight of at least 20/40 both eyes.
- Field of Vision of 70° in the horizontal meridian in each eye.
- The ability to recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber.
- Does not have an average hearing loss in the better ear greater than 40 decibels at 500 Hz, 1,000 Hz, and 2,000 Hz with yr without a hearing aid.