Location: Milwaukee - Wisconsin
Rockwell Automation is doing things never before possible. We connect the imaginations of people with the potential of technology to make the world more intelligent, more connected and more productive. We help the world work better and people work smarter and are looking for bright minds to make that happen. The makers, the forward thinkers, the problem solvers. That's where you come in.
We are looking for a Senior Firmware Engineer to join our embedded software team. You will be responsible for designing, documenting, and testing embedded software for communication subsystems that will be reused globally across multiple businesses and products.
This role requires proven ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with Senior Engineers and other developers and technology adopters globally.
- Develop safety critical embedded software for communication subsystems within control and process systems
- Lead in the review of documents, designs, code, test cases, reports and user documents
- Use proven firmware design techniques, procedures and criteria in compliance with company guidelines
- Provide technical leadership of module or sub-system embedded firmware development
- Experience with embedded systems, microprocessor platforms and designs, especially related to functional safety certification
- Bachelor's Degree
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Typically requires 2+ years of experience in electronics development with embedded firmware experience
- Experience with C, C++, and other relevant programming languages
- Must exhibit excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Experience developing software in real-time embedded development environments, use of emulators, debuggers, and related instrumentation.
- Proven ability to solve complex problems involving both hardware & firmware
- Ability to travel occasionally, sometimes international travel
- Knowledge of Communication protocols and technologies, such as Ethernet, USB, or PCI express
- Experience with Industrial Communication Protocols, especially Common Industrial Protocol (CIP), CIP Safety, and OPC UA
- Experience with commercial real-time operating systems, as well as bare-metal environments
- Experience in programming interrupt handlers, ADC units, and other low level microprocessor functions
- Experience with functional safety and security standards (IEC 61508, IEC 62443) for electrical, electronic, and programmable electronic safety related systems, certification is a plus.
- Experience with Agile development methods
- Familiarity with modern continuous integration and development tools
- Experience with Python or other similar scripting languages for developing automated test and build environments
- Demonstrates experience in collaborating with other developers or development teams and provide technical guidance & knowledge sharing, as needed.
- Experience and knowledge of object-oriented design techniques
- Experience using configuration management tools, such as Git
- Experience with capturing design, test requirements, and traceability for a SW system
- Experience developing automated unit, integration, and fault insertion tests
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (see application details).