FT Payroll position incl Accounting duties.
Exc benefits. $60-$65k DOE.
For more info and to apply go to: www.portofbellingham.com
Closes 2/17/21 at 8AM
Enter and/or verify employee data in payroll software. Routinely audit and verify the data. Process all aspects of payroll. Answer employee and supervisor questions related to timesheets and payroll. Serve as resident payroll expert on HRIS system. The nature of this data is highly sensitive and confidential.
Assist with various accounting functions such as construction in progress, fixed assets, journal entries, and reconciliations.
- Serve as the Port’s primary payroll expert. Enter and/or verify employee data in payroll software, including new hires, terminations, and other employee data changes. Process payroll: review timesheets, job action forms, and as necessary verify employee data in the HRIS database. Enter all payroll financial data into the accounting software. Absolute accuracy is required.
- Work closely with Human Resources staff to ensure timely communication and paperwork flow of critical employee data changes.
- Act as the Port’s primary expert regarding the Department of Retirement Services account set-up, contribution processing and reporting. Process retirement reporting.
- Act as the Port’s primary expert for ICMA-RC deferred compensation account set-up and contribution funding.
- Serve as the payroll expert on the Dayforce HRIS system. Provide accurate and timely data to managers. Train employees and managers on Dayforce access and time entry/approval. Generate employee data reports as requested. Monitor Dayforce system payroll upgrades, initiate and monitor support tickets to resolve errors, and generate ideas on how to continually improve the utilization of Dayforce.
- Complete the Labor and Industries quarterly reports, and manage periodic audits.
- Communicate and work closely with Human Resources staff to ensure a thorough understanding of all Port Policies and Procedures, labor contracts, and the payroll implications of each. Provide input on the implementation of new payroll regulations.
- Provide support and customer service by answering employee and supervisor questions related to payroll.
- Process payroll for longshoremen hired by the Port, through Pacific Maritime Association, using their payroll system and procedures.
- Maintain the Port’s accrued vacation liability account, including periodic adjustments as employees terminate employment, as well as annual reconciliation.
- Prepare annual reconciliation of Section 125 Flexible Spending Account forfeitures, including journal entry.
- Other payroll duties and special projects as assigned.
- Act as the department lead on documents presented on the website.
- Assist the Accounting Supervisor with closing completed Construction in Progress jobs, including compiling and analyzing relevant support documents and recommending fixed asset components.
- Prove/adjust year end GL Account balances.
- Prepare miscellaneous journal entries throughout the year including quarterly public disclosure staff time, monthly work order splits, investment interest, and monthly property taxes.
- Coordinate the Portwide DRIVES Program (Department of Motor Vehicle/Vessel searches), including setting up new users, and tracking and reporting annual documentation for compliance.
- Act as back up to the Accounts Payable position including invoice/data entry and performing the check/ACH runs.
- Other accounting duties as needed.
Minimum Qualifications: 1. Four year degree in business administration, or other closely related field; with 2 years of payroll processing experience. Additional years of payroll or accounting experience may be substituted for the degree. 2. Computer skills: a. MS Excel - advanced ability to develop and manipulate complex spreadsheets using filters, links to external sources of information, charts, pivot tables, and import data from other sources. b. Proficiency with MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint. c. HRIS Database or Accounting software experience is preferred. 3. Must have excellent attention to detail. 4. Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing. 5. Ability to analyze general ledger accounts for errors, and make corrections. 6. Strong customer service skills. 7. Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and in a team environment.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Application materials are available on our website at www.portofbellingham.com or by contacting the Port of Bellingham at 1801 Roeder Avenue, Bellingham, WA. All application materials are due by 8:00 a.m., Wednesday, February 17, 2021. Interested individuals must complete the standard application form. Applicants are also encouraged to submit a letter of interest and/or resume which highlights the nature and extent of relevant education/training, employment history, specific examples of job related experience. All applicants will be reviewed and evaluated against the requirements of the position and the field of candidates. The top-qualifying candidates will be called for further evaluation and/or interview. The Port of Bellingham is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GENERAL INFORMATION: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice. The Port of Bellingham is an "At-Will" employer. Filing of Application: Carefully read the announcement bulletin; note the minimum qualifications required and application instructions. It is to your advantage to show all relevant education and experience. An application form is required, personal resumes may be attached to the employment application but will not be considered in lieu of the application. Closing Date: Applications may be filed in person, by mail, or on-line. If mailed, they must be received by the closing date shown on the announcement. Postmarks will not be accepted. All applications must be returned to the Port of Bellingham, 1801 Roeder Ave., Bellingham, WA 98225 by 8:00 a.m. on or before the closing date. Applicants with Disabilities: As provided for under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Port will provide reasonable accommodation during an examination or testing process to candidates who request assistance. To request assistance, contact the Human Resources Department at 360-676-2500. EMPLOYEE BENEFITS: Paid Leave: Regular Port employees receive 10 paid holidays per year. PTO accrual rates are increased at regular intervals based on length of Port service. Retirement: Regular full time employees in this position are mandatory members of the Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). The Port also offers a 457 deferred compensation plan for interested employees. Group Insurance: Regular full-time employees and their eligible dependents are covered by medical/dental/life & long-term disability insurance plans. Premium expenses are shared by the Port and the employee. Employees are covered by the State Industrial Insurance Act. EMPLOYMENT: Hours of Work: The normal workweek is 40 hours, Monday through Friday. The Port of Bellingham is committed to a smoke free environment. Job candidates must be able to operate effectively in this work environment. Applicants who are offered employment will be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship, permanent residence status or employment authorization, and proof of identification (photo I.D.). This requirement is the result of the Federal Immigration Reform and Control Act.