Mechanical Engineer - Touch ID Product Design
San Diego , California , United States
Posted: Feb 1, 2021
Role Number: 200220221
The Sensing Product Design team is looking for a talented mechanical engineer to develop great experiences and bring Apple products to life. We are the team developing many of the sensors that changed the way people interact with their technology. Touch redefined the phone and tablet, Touch ID seamlessly secured them, and the heart rate monitor let you keep tabs on yourself.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience designing for a production environment. High volume, consumer electronics or sensing experience is a plus.
- 3D CAD experience is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to craft clear engineering documentation
- Able to effectively collaborate with diverse team members and external vendors to achieve
- project goals
You will own the end-to-end design, development and validation of sensing technology into Apple's portfolio of products. You will work with a talented multifunctional team to generate design concepts, and as the mechanical expert you will be responsible for engineering analysis and documentation for your piece of the project:
Identifying design tradeoffs and risks to choose viable paths forward.
Applying good experiment design and the scientific method to reduce design risk early.
Running tolerance studies to ensure designs are feasible over manufacturing tolerances.
Driving processes to meet Apple's high cosmetic standards. In the prototyping and validation phases, you will support external manufacturing vendors with process development and root cause analysis for issues found during testing. Support for our vendors includes international travel between 15% and 25%. At the end of the extraordinary team effort, your work will be in the hands of millions of people making a visible difference in their daily lives.
Education & Experience
BSME required; MSME, PhD preferred (or equivalent)
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.