Battery Cell Technology Engineering Program Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Feb 1, 2021
Role Number: 200220220
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, intelligent people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our dedication to leave the world better than we found it. Do you want join us in these pursuits? Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product! As an Engineering Project Manager (EPM) within Apple's HW Technology organization, you will be responsible for development of battery solutions for a wide range of Apple products. We are looking for an energetic EPM to support technically exciting projects where you are encouraged to demonstrate your engineering background to enable multi-functional teams delivering sophisticated solutions. The ideal candidate will understand lithium based rechargeable cells and have a passion for upending conventional wisdom of material, packaging, and analytics development to push industry boundaries and deliver better Batteries. You should have a working understanding of battery cell design and manufacturing to drive and execute a plan from concept development, to build management product integration. You will have confirmed ability enabling larger multi-functional teams to deliver sophisticated systems efficiently and with high quality, with ability to bridge gaps between different engineering teams, while driving and qualifying suppliers to Apple Battery specifications.
- 7+ years of industry experience (preferably Battery or Consumer Electronics) of taking technologies from concept definition to mass production.
- 4+ years of technical project management experience in material development, mechanical design, and manufacturing process development.
- Experience with emphasis on lithium ion or lithium polymer battery cells a plus.
- Knowledge of current state of the art production process applicable to lithium rechargeable cells highly desired.
- Experience in working with suppliers to develop and qualify battery.
- Proven adeptness in working in a fast-paced, multi-functional environment; engaged and eager to learn.
- Experience with modeling and simulation work a plus.
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills as well as the ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audience.
- Experienced in setting up project plans, anticipate potential roadblocks and react proactively to mitigate against risks or impacts.
- Ability to comprehend, communicate and handle complex design tradeoffs.
- Understands and deals well with rapid development cycles; remains flexible and calm in the face of ambiguity.
- Highly adept in multi-tasking of both short-term and long-term activities.
The Battery Technology EPM leads a multi-functional team of battery, chemical, system, and manufacturing engineers, utilizing a strong technical background to identify, assess and communicate project risks and issues. They facilitate good communication and offer multiple levels of status across a wide spectrum of individual contributors to executive management. In addition, they drive day-to-day program activities to meet program objectives.
Develop project plans, lead, track and report progress to plan and drive solutions to address any/all identified gaps.
Identify and prioritize project tasks and risks, drive engineering discussions and decisions on critical system parameters.
Drive day-to-day activities, including build management, to meet overall program objectives.
Identify and engage multi-functional partners for project definition decisions.
Communicate status and big picture to the project team and executive management.
Education & Experience
BS in Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Required, MS preferred.