HID, Haptics Firmware Engineer
San Diego , California , United States
Posted: Feb 2, 2021
Role Number: 200220549
We are looking for a creative, motivated, and passionate embedded software engineer to develop Taptic Engine firmware for next-generation Apple products, including iPhone, AppleWatch, and Mac. Come join a tightly-integrated team of hardworking engineers to deliver world-class haptic experiences that will be enjoyed by millions of customers. In this role you'll collaborate with teams across the company, including Hardware, Software, QA, and Design.
- Expertise in C or C++ for embedded systems
- Experience interfacing microcontrollers with sensors and actuators (e.g. LRA, VCA, Piezo)
- Knowledge of embedded peripherals / protocols (e.g. DMA, USB, UART, SPI, I2C)
- Ability to apply software best-practices to firmware design in bare-metal or RTOS environments
- Board bring-up and debug skills with JTAG, mixed-signal oscilloscopes, and/or logic analyzers
- Working knowledge of closed-loop control systems and experience implementing low-level
- control algorithms in embedded environments preferred
- Development of production DSP or FPGA firmware for haptic or audio applications preferred
- Independent work ethic with strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
As a firmware engineer in haptics, you will work on all stages of the product development cycle with a vertically-integrated technology team.
You will bring up proof-of-concept prototypes and demos to help Design teams explore and evaluate new interactions
To ensure we craft well-considered features, you will architect low-latency, end-to-end haptics solutions with touch/force sensors by collecting requirements, constructing block diagrams, and reviewing hardware schematics; you will also negotiate and specify communication protocols, operating modes, and feature requirements with software driver teams
You will develop and document firmware features on prototype hardware and custom silicon, integrating actuator control algorithms with tight real-time requirements using DSP concepts, while working with factory teams to meet test and calibration requirements
To meet our especially high quality bar, you will bench-test firmware to ensure it meets performance, power, and thermal requirements; and you will debug and root cause issues with QA to deliver high-quality, robust firmware to production
Education & Experience
B.S. in CS/CE/ECE or equivalent experience. M.S. with advanced courses in Embedded Systems, Controls, and/or Signal Processing preferred.