Cellular Modem Physical Layer Firmware Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Jan 25, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200214959
Are you passionate about innovation that can enrich user experience and delight customers? Do you get excited with constant challenges and thrive in a culture of debate? Wireless Technology and Ecosystem Organization is seeking an experienced Cellular Modem Physical Layer Firmware Lead Engineer with good background in wireless systems. The hiring team is responsible for all aspects of Physical layer and Layer-1 software commercialization in Apple's cellular products. As part of this world class team, you will help commercialize cutting edge wireless technologies in Apple products. The position demands expertise in all aspects of embedded cellular firmware development and requires close collaboration with cross functional hardware and software teams.
- Minimum of 5 years experience designing and/or developing Physical layer algorithms for embedded systems.
- Good understanding of 5G and 4G 3GPP protocols, especially Physical Layer protocols
- Research fundamentals in communication theory and digital signal processing
- Working knowledge of computer architecture with particular emphasis on the HW/SW interfaces of high speed communication subsystems.
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles, and core computer science fundamentals.
- Working knowledge of C and C++, compilers, build and source code control tools
- Proficiency debugging embedded software systems.
- Link or system simulation experience with Matlab or NS3 is a plus
- Python or Perl scripting experience is a plus
- Good analytical, problem solving and resolution skills.
As a lead member of the hiring team, candidate will lead/assist design and development of Physical layer algorithms in cellular modems while also assisting with bring up, Power and Performance tuning and optimizations. The position requires high level thinking to architect solutions along with low level programming, excellent communication and leadership skills, with the ability to work in a fast paced environment. 5G/LTE PHY/L1 system engineer of a state-of-the-art mobile platform Define and specify PHY/L1 requirements spec and continuously drive PHY/L1 performance improvement. Lead cross-functional efforts to bring together various hardware/software entities work towards a common purpose.
Education & Experience
Masters degree or PhD (preferred) in CS/EE or equivalent