Cell Engineer - SPG
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Feb 2, 2021
Role Number: 200220497
Apple is looking for a Lithium Ion Battery (LIB) Cell Engineer with expert knowledge of cell design and production processes, battery chemistry and materials, and who possesses creativity and leadership skills to enable and drive the development of new LIB technologies.
- Five plus years experience in material development related to Li-ion chemistry, scaling new materials and qualifying new materials into production. Familiarity with high volume production processes and methods related to rechargeable Li-ion cells strongly preferred.
- Experience in managing multiple development programs with internal engineering groups and external technology development partners and vendors.
- Motivated, self-starter with excellent time management skills and strong priority oriented approach to areas of focus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to clearly and accurately explain technical issues.
- Familiar with relevant industry standards and battery validation.
You will own key elements of the cell design and interface directly with cell manufacturers, mechanical designers, and systems engineers to ensure successful delivery of a successfully integrated LIB. This includes a lead role in designing the LIB to meet performance, cost, and manufacturability requirements as well as influencing system design to fully leverage the LIB technology's potential. In addition to your technical skills, you will sustain highly interactive relationships with internal and external partners with your excellent written and verbal communication skills. You will manage suppliers to realize technologies into prototypes and lead strategic partnerships aligned to Apple's development programs and roadmaps. A keen eye for industry trends and business opportunities and the ability to influence senior management is also highly desired. The ideal candidate has deep background in development of LIB materials, cell design, and is able to apply their experience to a diverse array of problems. Within Apple, SPG (Special Projects Group) is working on entirely new projects and designs that are exciting and far out of the ordinary. If you enjoy working in a challenging, creative, flexible and fast-paced environment with significant leverage on future products and trends, you will love this job.
Education & Experience
M.S. or Ph.D. in Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry or similar.
- Travel to external vendors, suppliers, and production line facilities expected. This is a role in Product Design - though travel is expected it is at reasonable intensity.