$68,452.80 - $104,499.20 Annually
Arlington *METRO-accessible*, VA
Office of the Treasurer
The Arlington County Treasurer's Office is seeking an experienced Assistant Deputy Treasurer for Accounting and Treasury Management to provide integrated and comprehensive financial advice and assistance to management using accounting and fund control systems.
Major duties include:
- Forecasting cash requirements, scheduling expenditures, managing short-term investments and analyzing trends.
- Managing staff by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching and counseling employees; and developing, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards.
- Understanding and communicating financial policies and programs that involve integrated accounting, budget and management analysis.
- Researching complex fiscal issues and briefing the Treasurer and Deputy Treasurers on findings and recommendations.
- Developing and presenting reports to the Treasurer on the activities of the division.
- Writing and maintaining operational procedures manuals.
- Providing technical assistance and review for cash management and other financial issues.
- Acting as Liaison with external and State auditors.
Treasurer's Office Organization Unit Overview
The Accounting and Treasury Management Division is responsible for the safeguarding and management of, and the accounting for, all County revenues and County financial assets (cash and investments). The Division consists of nine professional-level positions in addition to the Deputy Treasurer.
The Division provides the following services:
- Provides accounting and analysis support to the Treasurer and the other divisions within the Office of the Treasurer.
- Participates in the preparation of the County's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), and in the conduct of the County's independent audit and State audit.
- Responds to inquiries from elected and appointed officials, citizens, taxpayers and other interested parties.
- Prepares and presents reports to the County's Finance Board.
The ideal candidate has the following experience:
- Reading, writing, comprehending and reviewing complex legal and technical materials, professional reports, proposals, procedures, policies, recommendations, etc.
- Preparing and analyzing reports in order to recommend policies and procedures.
- Resolving complaints and speaking in public.
- Developing cash handling and related internal controls policies and procedures.
- Working directly with internal and external customers, explaining policies, regulations and / or tax regulations.
In the context of this job description, the word "County" encompasses the general government, the School Division and any sub-units established by Arlington County Government.
Minimums: Bachelor's degree in Public/Business Administration, Accounting, or a closely related field. Plus three years of progressively responsible fiscal experience that includes activities such as budget preparation, treasury management, expenditure accounting, and tracking.
Preference: CPA or CPA candidate strongly preferred.
Substitution: A Master's Degree in Public/Business Administration, Accounting, or a closely related field may substitute for up to one year of experience.
Interested candidates should apply online and include a resume and a cover letter that describes how their experience and qualifications meet the position requirements. Please use the space provided in the Supplemental Questionnaire section or attach your letter to your online application. For this position, each applicant must also attach a current resume to the online application.
In your letter of application please be sure to describe your experience in the following:
- Expenditure accounting and budget;
- Treasury management;
- Staff management and development; and
- Financial systems.
Work Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
A pre-hire background check will be conducted on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Competitive benefits and salary commensurate with education and experience.
Salary range $68,452.80 - $104,499.20 annually.
The official title for this position is Financial Analyst II.
This recruitment is open until the position is filled. Applications will be screened on a continuous basis. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Arlington County Government employee benefits depend on whether a position is permanent, the number of hours worked, and the number of months the position is scheduled.
Specific information on benefits and conditions of employment can be found on the Arlington County Human Resources Department website: (see application details)
Permanent, Full-Time Appointments
All jobs are permanent, full-time appointments unless otherwise stated in the announcement. The following benefits are available:
Paid Leave : Vacation leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. Leave accrual increases every three years until eight hours of leave are earned biweekly for twelve or more years of service. Sick leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. There are eleven paid holidays each year.
Health and Dental Insurance : Three group health insurance plans are offered - a network open access plan, a point-of-service plan, and a health maintenance organization. A group dental insurance plan is also offered. The County pays a significant portion of the premium for these plans for employees and their dependents. A discount vision plan is provided for eye care needs.
Life Insurance : A group term policy of basic life insurance is provided at no cost to employees. The benefit is one times annual salary. Additional life insurance is available with rates based on the employee's age and smoker/non-smoker status.
Retirement : The County offers three vehicles to help you prepare for retirement: a defined benefit plan, a defined contribution plan (401(a)), and a deferred compensation plan (457). The defined benefit plan provides a monthly retirement benefit based on your final average salary and years of service with the County. You contribute a portion of your salary on a pre-tax basis to this plan. General employees contribute 4% of pay; uniformed public safety employees contribute 7.5% of pay. Employees become vested in the plan at five years of service. The County also contributes to this plan.
For general employees, the County also contributes 4.2% of pay to a defined contribution plan (401(a)) . The County also matches your 457 contribution, up to $20 per pay period, in this plan. The 457 deferred compensation plan allows you to set aside money on either a pre-tax (457b) or post-tax (457 Roth) basis up to the IRS annual limit. New employees are automatically enrolled with a pre-tax contribution equal to 2% of your base pay.
Other Benefits: The County also offers health, dependent care, and parking flexible spending accounts; long-term care insurance; tuition assistance; transit and walk/bike to work subsidies; a college savings plan; wellness programs; training opportunities; and a variety of other employee benefits.
Permanent, Part-Time Appointments:
Part time employees who work ten or more hours per week receive paid leave and benefits in proportion to the number of hours worked per week.
Limited Term Appointments:
Benefits are the same as permanent appointments except that the employees do not achieve permanent status.
Temporary Regular Appointments:
Temporary regular employees who work 30 hours or more per week are eligible for health, dental, and basic life insurance as described above. They are also eligible for vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays.
Temporary Seasonal and Occasional Appointments:
Temporary employees who work on a seasonal basis or variable hours receive sick leave, but do not normally receive other paid leave or benefits. Exceptions are noted in individual announcements.