Physical Layer Control System Engineer
Austin , Texas , United States
Posted: Feb 8, 2021
Role Number: 200222009
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple's customers every single day. Wireless technologies have become a crucial part of all Apple devices that delight our customers. Our devices operate in radio environments with wide range of applications and intertwines different wireless technologies. With the latest developments in cellular, WiFi, and BT, we utilize a sophisticated simulation platform to study performance of our devices in complicated radio and network conditions and gain insights for system design. In this role, you will be responsible for designing and simulating a plethora of physical layer control algorithms along with their cross- layer impact. This position requires someone familiar will all aspects of systems and algorithm development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of wireless communication systems (OFDM/MIMO, etc.).
- Experience in physical layer algorithm design, algorithm validation, feature bring up, and commercialization.
- Deep understanding of 5G-NR and LTE standards, including PHY, MAC and RRC specifications.
- Hands on experience on lab testing & characterization is required. Experience on bring up real silicon in lab and familiarity with field testing and performance characterization is required.
- Deep understanding of communication theory & signal processing related algorithms design (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairment estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, etc.)
- Experience with Matlab or Python and/or C/C++ for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation.
- Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, hardware and software control
- Ability to understand performance impact under external restrictions such as coexistence issues is a plus.
In this technical role, you will be responsible for scoping and design of PHY control procedures in 5G-NR and LTE as part of a modem development group responsible for state-of-the-art wireless products. - Scope different control procedures in 5G-NR and LTE, identify the performance trade-offs and simulate state-of-the-art control procedures. - Identify dependencies between physical layer, upper layers and RF control procedures in order to optimize control procedures. - Take part in cross feature impact analysis. Determine how a physical layer procedure impacts other procedures and strive for a jointly optimized algorithm. Consider end-user experience and scalability aspects as a part of algorithm design. - Support firmware and software development teams from design throughout commercialization.
Education & Experience
MS with 10 Years experience or Ph.D. with 7 years experience.