Public Information Officer
The City of Alcoa is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Public Information Officer. Under the appointment and general direction of the City Manager or designee, the Public Information Officer serves in a support capacity to the senior management team. The incumbent will perform administrative and professional level work in assisting the City Manager and City departments with public communication needs.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with coordinating media relations for the City. This includes working with news media and composing news articles, press releases, and other citywide communication.
- Media coordination of all upcoming meetings, public announcements, and events.
- Researches, analyzes, and prepares reports for the City Manager's office.
- Prepares a variety of reports for all city departments.
- Assists with the coordination of community programs and events.
- Maintains positive relationships both with external and internal contacts.
- Works closely with all departmental community outreach personnel to maintain awareness of planned events.
- Coordinates creation, design, modification, and maintenance of the City’s website, the CivicReady emergency notification website, and City Facebook page.
Knowledge and Personal Skills
Applicants must be a proven leader who demonstrates professionalism and support to staff.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have considerable experience and knowledge in the following areas:
- Solid knowledge and skills of modern principles, practices, and techniques of professional communications, with a thorough knowledge of public information systems.
- A background in principles and practices of public relations media.
- Thorough knowledge of writing, editing, and printing techniques.
- Ability to develop promotional copy and perform technical editorial work.
- Ability to write public information reports and releases.
- Ability to promote public awareness of attractions, events, and facilities.
- Ability to express ideas clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the public.
- Ability to gather and analyze facts on a variety of subject matter and to assemble and present concise reports and presentations.
- Knowledge of municipal operations and functions.
- A basic knowledge of publishing and spreadsheet applications.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in journalism, communications, logistics management or related field and appropriate experience in public information or communications.
Advanced computer skills required.
Interested persons may obtain additional information and an online application on the City website – www.cityofalcoa-tn.gov.
Click "Apply" today!
The City of Alcoa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA/ADEA/Title VI Compliant.