Jr. Hardware Engineering Lab Technician (Contract) - Camera HW
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Feb 9, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200222283
Why Apple? We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is interested in people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives. You will become part of a team that sets the standard in developing excellence, creativity and innovation. Will you help us design the next generation of revolutionary Apple products? The Camera Hardware Engineering group is responsible for all research, design, development, test, and qualification of camera hardware for Apple products. Within that, the Camera Architecture & Product Engineering team is responsible for creating and qualifying future camera hardware design requirements that compliment and leverage imaging pipeline, power budget and technology readiness. An in-depth understanding of modern imaging and image processing algorithms, multi- camera calibration and computational photography enables this team to successfully tie in highly optimized camera hardware solutions with state of the art software providing market leading imaging experience.
- Associate's degree or higher in STEM field (science, technology, engineering or math). New graduates welcome.
- Basic understanding of digital photography fundamentals and some exposure to DSLR camera operation in manual mode.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel/Apple Numbers for data collection, summary and reporting.
- High attention to detail and procedural thinking.
- Improvement-oriented mindset and willingness to help foster team innovation and individual growth.
- Effective communicator that uses teamwork to build relationships, embrace diversity and help achieve collective success.
- Willingness to relocate to Santa Clara Valley, CA.
Apply the fundamentals of digital photography and learn the latest innovations in camera hardware design, computational photography and image quality assessment. Capture and collect images and data using early prototypes and developmental hardware to support development and testing of future Apple products and imaging systems. Stage and capture subjective camera image quality tests using various props, realistic models, scenery and lab-based environmental simulations. Learn, operate and maintain an array of professional photography equipment, image quality testers and automation platforms. Opportunity to learn and apply skills hands-on across various engineering fields such as optical, electrical, mechanical, software and systems design to help support fixturing and lab automation efforts.
Education & Experience
AS/BS in engineering field or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with Mac operating system and Apple ecosystem a huge plus.
- Exposure to automated test equipment or working with collaborative robotics.
- Exposure to MATLAB or Python programming languages and knowledge of basic coding principles.
- Exposure to mechanical prototyping using various hand tools, power tools and/or rapid prototyping equipment.
- Basic understanding of common optical measurement equipment such as illuminance meters, colorimeters, spectrometers and optical power meters.
- Basic understanding of bench-top electrical tools such as oscilloscopes, function generators, DMMs, and power supplies.
- Introductory ability to read and interpret basic electronic schematics.
- Basic soldering experience.