Battery Materials - Cell Development Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Feb 12, 2021
Role Number: 200222570
At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming outstanding products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what we could accomplish! As a member of battery materials development organization, you will lead the development of promising materials and integrate them into full-cells to achieve cell performance that befit Apple's products. You will analyze cell performance needs and orchestrate corresponding materials development efforts to enable meeting the needs. You will collaborate with teams of material scientists and cell engineers carrying out ground breaking innovative cathode, anode, electrolyte, separators, electrodes and cell development. Working with internal multi-functional teams and external vendors in all aspects, you will identify and accelerate promising materials to be ready for use in Apple's batteries.
- 5+ years proven in applied battery materials and cell chemistry R&D, preferably with 2 or more materials development experience tied to mass produced cells for cathode, anode, electrolyte, or separator materials
- Significant experience developing collaboration strategy and leading execution of collaborations with material vendors in battery industry
- Track record of successful development and introduction of new materials to full cells, preferably tied to mass produced cells.
- Track record of innovation and creativity in solving technical challenges
- Impeccable level of scientific integrity, and excellence with regard to experimental methodology, data analysis and reporting
- Deep expertise in identifying promising materials and accelerating development cycle time.
Drive material R&D with external partners to develop promising cathode, anode, electrolyte, separator and other cell material candidates and resolve technical bottlenecks based on cell performance needs
Conduct cell design, cell build, cell performance testing, longevity and safety evaluation and performance gap improvement activities with internal teams and cell vendors
Participate in scale-up activities to ensure successful realization in production of qualified materials
Conduct studies of various material and chemistries and develop materials and chemistry technical roadmaps, strategy and execution plan
Develop intellectual property to protect technology developments and secure a competitive position
Education & Experience
M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Material Sciences or related field