Product Design Engineer - Battery Pack Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Feb 15, 2021
Role Number: 200223599
The battery pack engineering team works on multifaceted structural, electrical, and thermal problems. You will help to conceive, design, and bring to production highly integrated batteries and have a major influence on product direction.
- Experience in structural, electrical, thermal, and mechanical systems
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and general mechanical engineering analysis
- Strong materials knowledge. Good understanding of different materials/grades and their tradeoffs, as well as coatings
- Requires demonstrated ability to produce detailed part designs and drawings for a variety of components and assemblies
- Experience with design of parts requiring joining techniques including structural adhesives, rivets, bolted joints, laser, or CMT welding.
- Knowledge of part design for forming processes such as: extrusions, stamping, machining, injection molding, and die casting.
- Experience in design and assembly of battery modules or battery packs.
- Experience in designing components to meet electrical requirements including maximum current, temperature rise, and electrical isolation requirements.
- Experience in designing to meet ingress protection requirements.
- Great written, verbal, and presentation skills with the ability to communicate well with management, peers, and suppliers.
- Flexible and comfortable working in a quickly changing environment.
- 3-D CAD experience
You will be responsible for the design of various components and systems related to battery packs. Potential focus areas could be related to battery abuse safety, structural optimization, thermal design, or PCB and HV component packaging. You will be responsible for creating the 3D CAD design, prototyping and testing parts, creating detailed drawings with GD&T, and providing specifications to vendors. Engineers will be taking the product from concept to production, and are expected to root cause quality and functionality problems.
Education & Experience
BSME required, MS Preferred
- Experience in development of Mechanical System Architecture, Design for Manufacturability (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing. Experience with NX and/or TeamCenter. Experience with quality engineering principles such as Six Sigma or 8D problem solving.