Director of Health Services
The Williamsport Area School District is accepting applications for a Director of Health Services, 245 days per school year (year round position). The location is District Wide or at the determination of the Superintendent; salary as per the Act 93 Compensation Plan.
Job requirements as per job description, to include bachelor's degree in School Nursing and PDE certification as a school nurse required. Previous experience as a school nurse required. PDE Certification as a supervisor of school health services preferred.
All applications must be submitted electronically for consideration. Email email@example.com for more information. EOE.
Applications deadline: MARCH 1, 2021
The Director of Health Services provides leadership, coordination, and guidance for innovative health services for staff members assigned to the Health Services Department and Coordinates the School River Valley Dental Program. He/She is a leader who will coordinate and implement a K-12 district wide comprehensive plan for school health services. The position of Director of Health Services is a 245-day position that reports directly to the Director of Student Services.
Education & Experience:
License as a Registered Nurse (BSN)
Experience as a school nurse
Requires a Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) certification as a school nurse.
Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) certification as a supervisor of school health services (preferred)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Requires leadership and the ability to involve staff in shared decision making as it applies to a changing educational environment.
Must be able to articulate the district’s philosophy regarding education and health care services to staff, students, parents and community members.
Must have the ability to continuously monitor, review, and recommend adjustments to the health services programs and school dental program.
Must demonstrate the ability to weigh options, think clearly, make decisions in a timely manner and adjust (with positive reactions) to a changing environment.
Communicates, verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner. Maintains confidentiality of all business-related information.
Knowledge of computer applications.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Maintains a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and provides his/her own transportation to attend district meetings, approved seminars/conference, and/or assigned district committees.
Ability to maintain a flexible schedule and attend district events as required.
Authority & Responsibilities:
[(E) Designates Essential Functions]
- Explores and identifies needs and resources related to the school health programs. (E)
- Writes grant applications for Epi-Pens or Auvi Q (E)
- Coordinates delivery of school dental program K-12 with building principals. (E)
- Periodically reviews health care services provided and explores innovative programs and services supported by best practice and research. (E)
- Acts as a consultant to administration for health services programs and issues. (E)
- Assesses staffing needs to be provided by the school nursing and health care department. Participates in the selection, scheduling and supervision of nursing staff. Ensures all staff have the correct certifications and that yearly required certifications are met. (E)
- Provides and makes arrangements for professional development for nurses and HRT for district in-service days.
- Develops written protocols for the delivery of health services. (E)
- Provides the direct delivery of school nursing services in the schools up to a half-time basis. (E)
- Supervises the preparation of state reimbursement reports for the school nursing programs and other reports as needed to fulfill state mandates and district needs. (E)
- Maintains confidentiality of all business and student related information. (E)
- Oversees the operations of nursing services to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations and district policies. (E)
- Completes and assists with the evaluation of all health services staff. Completes annual and periodic observations and evaluations of staff as required by State regulations or district policy. (E)
- Implements policies and practices of the district and supervises the dissemination of information about these policies and practices to staff and students. (E)
- Ensures that all buildings are covered daily with nursing and HRT staff before the start of the school day. (E)
- Ensures all district field trips have adequate nurse coverage throughout the school year and all health services are covered.
- Provides support to district educational programs such as School to Work with medication needs.
- Ensures that the district is in compliance with all medial requirements through the Pennsylvania Department of Education and the Department of Health. Not limited to immunizations, physicals, and other mandated reporting. (E)
- Assists in providing leadership to meet the technological needs for recordkeeping of the health services department and programs.
- Develops, monitors, and manages an annual budget for the Health Services Department. (E)
- Supervises the ordering, inventory, and distribution of medical supplies to all schools K-12.
- Ensures all Health Services equipment is in working condition and is serviced and calibrated as required.
- Assumes administrative support duties as required.
- Performs other related functions as directed by the Director of Student Services, Superintendent and/or Assistant Superintendent.
MEDIUM: Experts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Requires the ability to provide physical assistance when necessary.
Auditory and Visual Requirements:
Within normal ranges with or without correction.
Office equipment such as computers, fax machines, telephones, copiers, etc.
Equipment utilized in providing health services (thermometers, blood pressure cuffs, etc.)
Medications utilized to provide health services.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, tasks, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with this position. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, management reserves the right to modify essential functions of the job, or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technical developments).