Senior Wireless System Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Feb 18, 2021
Role Number: 200224247
At Apple, we work every single day to craft products that enrich people's lives. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? We have an opportunity for a forward-thinking and unusually hardworking Wireless System Engineer. As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the rare and extraordinary opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and encourage millions of Apple's customers every single day. In this technical role, you will be at the center of a silicon design group responsible for wireless system design for state-of-the-art wireless SoC products. You will help with crafting and simulating state-of-the- wireless communication system for very high data rate application. You will help in implementing system models and investigate innovative algorithms for performance enhancements, design and validate them to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL development. You will also work on designing method/algorithm to alleviate RF/circuits impairments of the wireless communication systems by calibrations, pre-equalizations, canceller and/or pre-distortion techniques. You will further participate in defining control procedures of the physical layer hardware modules to achieve robust and efficient performance of the modem in practical congested medium conditions. Above all, you will interact with RF/analog designers, SW engineers, HW digital designers and architects to define and specify the wireless systems. You will get to work with digital designers to realize these methods with power and area efficient digital implementations. And to work with firmware designers to realize these methods with high efficiency software implementation, and possibly with hardware acceleration. And to bring up, test, characterize and optimize real silicon in lab to the production qualities.
- Requires s at least 7+ years experience in designing signal processing and wireless communications systems.
- In-depth knowledge on wireless communication system (OFDM/MIMO, etc), hands on experience on lab testing & characterization will be essential.
- Deep understanding of communication theory & signal processing related algorithms design (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, MIMO signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, beamforming, etc.)
- Deep understanding of components/modules composited of wireless communication systems, and the possible impairments from those components, and the corresponding calibration and impairment reduction methods/algorithms, digital predistortion, PAPR reduction algorithms, Tx power control, etc.
- Experience with Matlab or Python and/or C/C++ for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation.
- Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, hardware and software control are a plus.
- Experience on low power algorithm design for power sensitive application is a plus.
- Experience with multi-radio coexistence management is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge on High Level Synthesis (HLS), silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms will be a plus.
- Experience on bring up real silicon in lab, being able to efficiently use lab equipment (such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc) is a plus.
- Knowledge in existing wireless communication protocols: 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be, 802.11ad/ay or Bluetooth/BLE
In this technical role, you will be at the center of a silicon design group responsible for wireless system design for state-of-the-art wireless SoC products. You will have an opportunity of designing and innovating the algorithms and architectures of wireless communication systems, working with the world class RF/analog, HW, SW designers, architects, implementing, verifying, validating and bringing up the SoC products to the production quality, providing them to millions of Apple customers. Core Responsibilities includes but not limited to the following.
Design and simulate state-of-the- wireless communication system for very high data rate applications.
Implement system models and investigate innovative algorithms for performance enhancements, design and validate them to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL development.
Implement system models for the wireless communication system, RF/circuits impairments. Design method/algorithm to alleviate those impairments by calibration, pre-equalization, canceller, and/or pre-distortion techniques.
Define the control procedures of the physical layer hardware modules to achieve robust and optimal performance of the Modem in congested radio environment.
Work with digital designers to realize these methods with power and area efficient digital implementations.
Work with firmware designers to realize these methods with high efficiency software implementation, and possibly with hardware acceleration.
Bring up, test, characterize and optimize real silicon in lab.
Education & Experience
MS with 10+ Years experience or Ph.D. with 7+ Years experience.