The Social Media Specialist is a member of the Anne Arundel Medical Center Marketing and Communications team. The individual is responsible for coordinating, overseeing and executing the social media strategy for the health system and supporting the content marketing strategy. The key objective of this role is to use social media to drive AAMC's content marketing strategy, align all content marketing with overall communication and marketing goals, and ensure that Anne Arundel Medical Center remains at the forefront of effectively leveraging the social technology available to drive broader awareness and engagement. The Social Media Specialist works in a busy office environment with frequent deadlines and phone interruptions. Responsibilities may require flexible working hours on occasion. The position may require travel to off-site locations and other community venues.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create, manage and execute the strategy and daily management of AAMC social media channels and all social media marketing efforts. In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team, ensure integration of all social media communication efforts across the health system. Collaborate with other AAMC leaders, service lines, departments and offices as appropriate.
- Serves as managing editor for AAMC's blog.
- Regularly monitor and report on social media efforts to ensure organizational priorities are being met across all social channels. Manage AAMC's online reputation by monitoring social media and review sites and by developing appropriate responses, in conjunction with AAMC leaders, to actively strengthen reputation and improve public perceptions.
- Write copy for social media platforms and campaigns and contribute regularly to health system blog.
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team, support thought leaders, service lines, departments, and offices throughout the health system in developing social media strategies and leverage existing AAMC social media influencers.
- Research, organize and execute strategic coordination with other social communities and influencers outside AAMC.
- Oversee social listening to bring forward trends or opportunities and address relevant issues. Facilitate service recovery by addressing comments, complaints and incidents through appropriate response or by triaging to Patient Advocacy and the designated department/leader.
- Supervise and support individual program social media efforts and lead a system-wide social media governance committee. Create social media best practice guidelines and training materials to educate, inform and guide employees in social media use. Coordinate with departments throughout the health system operating on a shared governance model for social media content created outside of the Marketing and Communications team.
- Is part of media rotation for 24-hour on-call coverage; contributes to crisis communication strategies in tandem with senior leaders to develop official responses, as needed.
- Assist Marketing and Communications team with other departmental activities as assigned.
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, journalism or related field required. Minimum of two years' experience in journalism, media relations, marketing, social media management or public relations.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and demonstrated ability in managing multiple projects simultaneously while working effectively under the pressure of last-minute deadlines and changing priorities.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex and medical/scientific ideas in laypeople's terms is essential.
- Takes initiative and functions effectively, both independently and as a member of a team, with a willingness to assist with routine and last-minute projects.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential issues. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media platforms as well as social media management tools.
- Healthcare industry knowledge and community knowledge are ideal.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.