Hardware System Engineer
Austin , Texas , United States
Posted: Feb 19, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200223626
Imagine what you could accomplish here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Are you ready to bring your passion and dedication to your next challenging career adventure? The Internet Services (IS) team is building a hardware engineering organization responsible for developing and delivering Apple's next generation hyper-scale server and storage platforms to internal Apple application teams. As we engage in the HW development process our team needs to be involved directly from system bring up through initial production systems to ensure all aspects of the HW and firmware meet the design and functional requirements set forth by Apple. We are looking for the best server systems engineers in the industry that have validated leadership and engineering prowess in understanding server systems, OS requirements and functionality, doing low-level server debug and issue diagnosis, crafting automated testing scripts and other utilities to ensure wider test coverage, and ultimately executing these software test plans at all stages of the hardware development process. You will have validated proficiency in working in and testing Intel run server + storage hardware systems. We need you to be capable of understanding the server topology and architecture at a high level. As the design matures, you will also need to be able to test the interoperability of the various sub-systems within a server/storage system to ensure the system is meeting the primary design requirements and performance targets before test systems are provided to Apple teams. We desire the candidate to have excellent communication skills and have validated the skills to work alongside the design engineering disciplines (Electrical, Firmware, Thermal, Power, etc) to communicate findings and issues in order to root cause/fix. The successful candidate will need to prioritize multiple concurrent test efforts. You will possess the ability to interpret test results and communicate status and recommendations to the extended internal teams. Strong experience in Linux and Linux scripting is a must and familiarity with object oriented programming languages is a plus. Finally, you should have a passion for working with end customers, developers and users.
- Validated 5 yrs experience as a Linux system engineer on Intel based server hardware platforms in pre-production/development stages.
- In-depth, validated understanding of Linux and diverse Linux system administrator functions (driver install, firmware update, OS configuration, etc)
- Experience working with IPMITool and BMC communication protocols.
- Experience with BASH, Python and GO to automate tasks.
- Familiarity with Data Center environments and standards.
- Ability to seek and debug hardware and software issues.
- Familiarity with VCS and CI/CD methods.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Technical understanding and working knowledge of Intel servers.
- Skills to thrive and cooperate in multi-functional groups around Apple and outside with external suppliers.
- Ability to think creatively, problem seek, and innovate with passion for your work!
- Validated skills to perform under high pressure and passionate for working throughout a dynamic environment!
Provide technical support and mentorship to SREs, Application developers and datacenter users. You will work in an encouraging and passionate team with other systems engineers to answer technical questions or resolve issues with server-side performance. You may also support users by assisting with installation and maintenance of Linux-based programs and help debug these applications so that they work with existing servers. Work closely with, and clearly connect and thrive within multi-functional teams within Apple and with key external suppliers.
Education & Experience
- BS Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar