DevOps Automation Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Feb 19, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200224536
Apple seeks a motivated software engineer to drive automation efforts for our hardware engineering and applications team. Use your DevOps and software testing experience to stand up automated testing, continuous integration, continuous deployment, and containerization-- thereby improving our custom software applications that support thousands of Apple hardware engineers worldwide. The successful candidate will give to a wide variety of software projects, platforms, and initiatives, focusing on automation and process improvement, beginning with test frameworks. Come help us build out automation that removes risk from application releases and improves our ability to deliver iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Watch hardware even faster. The ideal candidate will supply outstanding leadership skills and problem-solving abilities to the best hardware engineering team in the world. Candidates with a Software Quality Assessment background who have built automated systems may be especially ready for this role.
- The following are required:
- Five years or more professional experience in software engineering or software quality engineering.
- Experience developing multi-tier applications and services using modern web frameworks, Java EE technologies, and RESTful web services.
- Proficiency in Java and working with JVM-based languages and frameworks such as Groovy and Grails.
- Experience crafting CI/CD processes and automation.
- Experience with automated build and automation systems like Jenkins, Ant, Ansible, or Gradle.
- Experience with virtual machines, containers, and container authoring.
- Experience deploying and supporting automated test frameworks.
- Experience with relational database systems, including SQL and relational design.
- Experience with NoSQL database systems such as MongoDB.
- Familiarity with Python, PERL, or other scripting languages.
- Experience working in an agile scrum and also an ability to work independently.
- The following qualifications are nice to have:
- Experience with message bus frameworks such as ActiveMQ.
- Experience with back-end frameworks like Spring and Hibernate.
- Experience with UI/UX frameworks like React and Angular.
- Familiarity with Electrical Engineering domain and concepts.
- Candidates must demonstrate strong skills with collaboration, negotiation, and influencing and must be able to work in multi-functional projects with internal partner engineering teams in an agile continuous delivery release framework.
The DevOps Automation Engineer is an accomplished software engineer who specializes in automating build, test, and deployment systems to remove risk from software releases. This is a green-field opportunity to define requirements and build solutions to improve a diverse array of applications. We are going to focus on building automated test frameworks initially, then incorporate those into future automated deployment capabilities. The DevOps Automation Engineer will:
Provide strong DevOps leadership to multi-functional teams including software engineers, site reliability engineering (data center), project managers, hardware engineering partners, and management.
Develop, maintain, and be responsible for the testing methodology, including test automation frameworks, test data repositories, and test reporting capabilities.
Specify, create or evaluate, deploy, and maintain build automation systems.
Develop and maintain a containerized application deployment strategy, including porting existing applications.
Automate systems working with high performance computing clusters.
Participate in application development scrums implementing tests, features, and capabilities.
Work under bold schedules, independently and within a larger project context, to achieve initiatives. This role normally works from an Apple office in Cupertino, CA but is to work remotely until Apple re-opens our campus.
Education & Experience
Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, or related field. Advanced degrees preferred but not required.