Under general direction perform installation, maintenance and repair the of water system, mains, taps and service lines, hydrants, blow offs, air relief valves, fire lines, backflow devices, meters, valves, reservoirs, and all distribution components. Responsible for the maintenance of Utility and General fund facilities and grounds, which includes painting, cleaning, remodeling and repair of sites, city owned facilities and property. Perform installation, maintenance, and repair on the sanitary sewer system and stormwater sewer system.
Representative Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(Note – This list is intended only to illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position.)
- Conducts utility inventory control procedures, receives deliveries, assignment and disposal of City assets, and performs proper inventory record keeping procedures.
- Provides building maintenance and improvements at various City and utility owned sites, which includes painting, cleaning, grinding, sanding, janitorial duties, and other associated tasks.
- Responsible for sorting and disposal of hazmat materials, metal recycling, wood and brush disposal, and electronic equipment surplus.
- Interoffice mail responsibilities which includes payroll pickup and billing deposits.
- Performs grounds maintenance and clean-up of utility and facility sites and buildings.
- Operates a variety of specialized heavy equipment such as dump truck, front-end loader, backhoe, arrow hammer, compressor, jack hammer, concrete saws, vactor truck, rodding, jetting and video equipment, as well as mowers, power tools, hand tools, and weed eaters.
- Works with utility staff, other City departments, rental tenants, other outside agencies and the public to correct safety deficiencies, security faults, and make cosmetic repairs.
- Designs and chooses the proper materials for fabrication of tools and other items as needed.
- Delivers City vehicles and equipment to Equipment Services Division as needed for preventive maintenance, routine maintenance, safety recalls and special repairs.
- Performs the installation, repair and maintenance of the water system, mains, valves, fire hydrants, service lines, blow offs, air reliefs and backflow devices using electronic devices to update the GIS systems. Installs water meters for new construction, assist in disassembly, reassembly and testing of water meters and backflow devices to protect water system from contamination. Assist with setting up traffic control for working in the right-of way for work zone safety.
- Assist in water meter reading activity, water meter repairs, door notices and shut off notices. Trouble shoot and verify that water meters are working properly and other billing issues.
- Conducts valve maintenance and repair and documents and maintains a valve program to ensure all valves in our water system are quick and easy to identify and are in proper working condition, the results which are a requirement for the City’s fire rating.
- Conducts and documents flow and pressure testing for static pressure and amount of water volume at a hydrant, water meter, or residence.
- Works directly with the public and other City and County departments such as Engineering, Sewer, Streets, Fire and County Inspectors.
- Compiles and maintains statistical data such as hydrant reports, flow test reports, meter change forms, work orders and locate requests.
- Performs the installation, repair and maintenance of the sanitary sewer system and stormwater sewer system and the installation of manholes and catch basin.
- Locates and repairs leaks, jet sewer blockages using high pressure water, and repair breaks in the sanitary sewer system and stormwater sewer system, mains and laterals using a wide range of technology which includes trenchless repair, pipe bursting and pipe fusion or electro fusion, tapping, cutting, fitting, laying, cleaning and flushing lines and fittings, and restoring area to original condition.
- Assists with the video program of the sanitary sewer system and stormwater sewer system and assist with the root control application and cleaning of roots using high pressure water.
- Responsible for the morning courier service, interoffice mail, payroll run and confidential correspondence. Performs a full range of maintenance and repair duties in assigned area of work.
- Inspects, cleans, and repairs small tools and equipment. Inspects vehicles and equipment for deficiencies prior to operation on a daily basis.
- Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner. Resolves complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Prepares and updates flushing manual. Contacts businesses, medical facilities, CenCom, etc. 24 hours in advance of water system flushing.
- Regular attendance is an essential requirement
- Performs related work as assigned and/or required
Qualifying Education and Experience (Minimum Requirements)
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or G.E.D. One year experience in water, sewer, storm or building /grounds operation and maintenance or closely related field.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license.
Special Requirements: (Note: Depending on assignment some special requirements may be required to be obtained after hire or by a date specified by the appointing authority.)
- Commercial driver’s license, Class A with tanker endorsement (must be obtained within one (1) year of hire date)
- Water Distribution Manager I (Certification maybe required for water personnel, if it is required it must be obtained within one year of hire date).
- Confined Space Entry Certification
- Flaggers Certification
- First Aid / CPR
- Asbestos-Cement pipe training
- Wastewater Collection Certification I (Certification is required for wastewater personnel)
- Crane Truck and Rigging operation and Certification
- Bucket Truck Certification
- Aerial Lift Certification
- Forklift certification
- Leak detection equipment.
- Water distribution maintenance.
- Occupational hazards and safe working practices.
- Materials, methods, techniques and equipment used in grounds maintenance, building maintenance, construction maintenance and preventive maintenance procedures.
- Operation characteristics, service and activities of water resources supply, storage, and pumping.
- Fittings associated with water system, sanitary sewer system and stormwater sewer system installation practice and ability to recognize incorrect or faulty fittings before issuing for use.
- Proper building maintenance procedures and improvements to include remodeling, painting, cleaning and preventive maintenance to these facilities.
- Local building construction codes and proper building techniques, materials, methods and procedures.
- Water system, sanitary sewer system, and stormwater sewer system maintenance and proper repair procedures.
- Procedures used when responding to crisis emergencies within the department.
- Operate 5-yard and 10-yard dump trucks with trailers, vactor truck, front end loader, forklift, scissor lift, trenching machine, riding lawnmower, pressure washer, industrial sand blaster, paint sprayer, jackhammer, saws, light trucks, trench shoring equipment and other various power and hand tools correctly, efficiently and safely.
- Recognize possible problems at water well sites, reservoirs, and intake structures that may be hazardous to the potable water supplies.
- Read and write English and communicate with the crew.
- Build good customer relations with the public.
- The ability to get along with others and be part of a team.
- Exercise good judgment and problem solving skills.
- Perform basic arithmetic calculations.
- Adapt and improvise tools and work methods to accomplish work assignments.
- Perform building and maintenance projects such as painting, cleaning, and preventive maintenance to these facilities.
- Read system maps, aerial photo maps, and valve pages, to locate valves and isolate water mains for repair and maintenance and be able to use a computer.
- Use fire hydrant repair equipment, flow and pressure test equipment, and leak detecting equipment.
- Negotiate City and surrounding areas and learn street names and addresses within the utility system.
- Troubleshoot equipment operation.
- Understand and follow oral and written instruction.
- Repair and maintain water systems, sanitary sewer system, and stormwater sewer system in accordance with State and Federal standards.
Applicants can apply on-line at http://www.BremertonWA.gov/169/Current-Jobs, or application packets may be obtained from the Human Resources Department, Cobweb, or by calling (360) 473-5348.
Required Application Materials: City application and personal résumé are required. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Required application materials must be returned to the Human Resources Office by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. The City of Bremerton is NOT responsible for errors of any kind with faxed or e-mailed application packets. Original signature is required on paper application forms. It is the responsibility of the applicant to carefully list all pertinent experience and training.
Appraisal of Experience and Education/Training: At this initial review, application packets may be evaluated entirely on the basis of information you provided in the completed City application form. Applicants should include all relevant information on the City application. Applicant’s education, training, and experience will be assessed. The passing score is 70%. The top qualifying candidates will be invited to participate further in the examination process. Meeting or exceeding qualifications does not guarantee the applicant will be invited to participate in the oral examination process.
Oral Examination: A panel will evaluate the applicant’s training, experience, and ability to perform the job.
Placement on the eligibility list is determined by weighted examination scores as follows:
Appraisal of application packet regarding Experience and Education/Training -
Passing Score 70% - Weight 40%
Oral Examination - Passing Score 70% - Weight 60%
Applicants must achieve a score of 70% or better on each portion of the exam in order to be placed on the hiring list.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES: Applicants with disabilities who will need special accommodation for examination must advise Human Resources no later than one (1) week prior to the scheduled examination so that appropriate arrangements can be made. (360) 473-5348.
LEGAL and REGULATORY EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS
Fair Labor Standards Act: The classification is non-exempt under the laws of Fair Labor Standards Act minimum wage and overtime provisions.
Representation: The classification is included in the bargaining unit pursuant to the Recognition Article of the current labor agreement between the City of Bremerton and the Teamsters Local 589.
Civil Service: The classification is excluded from the City's Civil Service System.
Appointment and Removal Authority: The position is filled by appointment by the Department Head. Removal is by action of the Department Head in conformance with Human Resources Policies.
This classification specification does not constitute an employment agreement between the City and employee. It is subject to change by the City, with the approval of Human Resources, as the needs of the City and requirements change.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of the City of Bremerton to offer equal employment opportunity to all individuals. The City of Bremerton will administer all actions with respect to employment practices in compliance with federal, state and local laws, and will not discriminate in any employment practice on the basis of age (40+), sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, marital status, military status, or the presence of any physical, mental or sensory disability.
The City of Bremerton does not discriminate on the basis of disability in programs and activities, which it operates pursuant to the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and ADA Amendments Act. This policy extends to both employment and admission to participation in the programs, services and activities of the City of Bremerton. Reasonable accommodation for employees or applicants for employment will be provided.
The City of Bremerton is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
CLICK THE LINK IN THIS POSTING TO GO TO THE CITY OF BREMERTON WEBSITE AND APPLY!