Sr. Welding Engineer - Manufacturing Process and Equipment Development
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Mar 2, 2021
Role Number: 200227909
Apple's Special Projects Group (SPG) is seeking a Sr. Welding Engineer to join the Manufacturing Process and Equipment Development team. As a Welding Engineer in our team, you will lead the development of welding processes, create prototypes to validate designs, and support the selection of best welding technologies to deliver target performance and cost. You will participate in all stages of product development, collaborating with product design and manufacturing engineering teams, ultimately delivering validated product designs to volume production.
- 8+ years of experience in development of welding processes and deployment of welding solutions for mass production.
- Experience in diverse welding methods (e.g., laser welding, ultrasonic welding, arc welding, etc.) and in applying those methods to new products.
- Ability to compare different welding methods and advise product design teams on tradeoffs in quality, performance, and cost.
- Experience in high and low volume manufacturing environments, including transitioning products from prototype to production, and introducing new processes to a production environment.
- Experience developing automated manufacturing equipment and managing equipment vendors from design through final acceptance.
- Experience managing contract manufacturers during equipment/process development and validation.
- Knowledgeable about production quality metrics, GD&T, and process/equipment qualification procedures.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, with limited technical information, and "wear multiple hats" as needed.
- Great written, verbal, and presentation skills with the ability to communicate well with management, peers, and suppliers.
You will develop welding processes and define critical process parameters to achieve product requirements. You will define welding process validation (cross sections, pull tests, etc.), analyze data, drive failure mode analysis, and provide process improvement plans. You will work with product design engineers, providing critical DFx feedback and supporting the selection of appropriate joining methods for new products. You will manage new welding equipment/tooling, and modify existing equipment as needed, to meet evolving requirements. You will train operators and technicians on new processes and develop maintenance procedures for equipment. As a part of the manufacturing engineering team, you will work with other manufacturing engineers on process development and equipment bring up in non-welding areas as needed. You will create equipment specifications, manage system integrators during quoting and design phases, and provide hands-on support during startup, installation, and commissioning of new equipment. You will guide contract manufacturers during welding equipment sourcing and manage welding process implementation, validation, and control plans at manufacturing sites to assure product quality, yields, and throughput. In addition to your technical skills, you will sustain highly interactive relationships with internal teams and external partners managing tradeoffs between product performance and manufacturability, and guide suppliers to realize our designs in production.
Education & Experience
BS in Metallurgical, Manufacturing, or Mechanical Engineering required, MS preferred
- Travel to vendors, suppliers, and production line facilities will be required. Projects are cyclical with initial development in local labs eventually transitioning to manufacturing sites during production ramp.