Manufacturing Engineer - Manufacturing Process and Equipment Development
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Mar 2, 2021
Role Number: 200227906
Apple's Special Projects Group (SPG) is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer to support the Manufacturing Process and Equipment Development team. As a Manufacturing Engineer in our team, you will lead the development of manufacturing processes, create prototypes to validate product designs, and support the selection of best manufacturing technologies to deliver target performance and cost. You will participate in all stages of product development, collaborating with product design teams, ultimately delivering validated product designs to volume production.
- 5+ years of experience in new product manufacturing process development and equipment deployment for mass production.
- Experience in high and low volume manufacturing environments, including transitioning products from prototype to production, and introducing new processes to a production environment.
- Experience designing mechanical equipment, fixtures, and tooling in CAD (NX preferred).
- Experience developing automated manufacturing equipment and managing automated equipment vendors from design through final acceptance.
- Experience managing contract manufacturers during equipment/process design and validation.
- Knowledgeable about production quality metrics, GD&T, and process/equipment qualification procedures.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, with limited technical information, and "wear multiple hats" as needed.
- Great written, verbal, and presentation skills with the ability to communicate well with management, peers, and suppliers.
You will be responsible for developing manufacturing processes and define critical process parameters to guarantee product performance and quality in prototyping and in mass production. You will work with product design engineers, providing critical DFx feedback and helping define manufacturing strategies for new products. You will manage new equipment and fixture designs as needed to validate product design and manufacturing processes. You will create detailed work instructions to document new processes, and train operators and technicians on new equipment. You will create manufacturing recipes during product prototyping phase and guarantee proper transfer of new processes to mass production. You will create equipment specifications, manage system integrators during quoting and design phases, and provide hands-on support during startup, installation, and commissioning of new equipment. You will also manage contract manufacturers during their equipment development and process validation to assure product quality, yields, and throughput. In addition to your technical skills, you will sustain highly interactive relationships with internal teams and external partners managing tradeoffs between product performance and manufacturability, and guide suppliers to realize our designs in production.
Education & Experience
BS in Manufacturing, Mechanical, Industrial, or Electrical Engineering required, MS preferred
- Travel to vendors, suppliers, and production line facilities will be required. Projects are cyclical with initial development in local labs eventually transitioning to manufacturing sites during production ramp.