Equipment Controls Engineer - Manufacturing Process and Equipment Development
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Mar 2, 2021
Role Number: 200227901
Apple's Special Projects Group (SPG) is seeking an Equipment Controls Engineer to join the Manufacturing Process and Equipment Development team. You will apply different equipment technologies to support manufacturing process development for new products. You will participate in all stages of product development, collaborating with multiple teams ultimately delivering validated product designs to volume production.
- 5+ years of experience in development and deployment of automatic or semi-automatic manufacturing equipment.
- Experience in high and low volume manufacturing environments including transitioning products from prototype to production.
- Skilled at troubleshooting and designing electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems.
- Skilled in Siemens PLC programming, TIA Portal V15+, STEP 7 and STEP 7 Safety Professional V15+.
- Experience with MultiUser Project Server, User Defined Data Structures, Styles, ProDIAG, WinCC Professional/Unified V15+ are a plus.
- Experience programming Kuka robots, WorkVisual 5.0+, Kuka Systems Software 8.3+.
- Experience with Network Configuration, Submit Interpreter, Option Package Integration, User Defined Functions, STRUCs, ENUMs, System Variables, GluTech, ArcTech are a plus.
- Experience with programming vision systems, Keyence preferred.
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment and managing vendors from design through final acceptance.
- Experience with industrial protocols ProfiSafe, ProfiNet, FTP, TCP/IP, RESTful, OPC-UA.
- Experience managing contract manufacturers during equipment design, troubleshooting, and validation.
- Ability to work on a dynamic environment, with limited technical information, and "wear multiple hats" as needed.
- Great written, verbal, and presentation skills with the ability to communicate well with management, peers, and suppliers.
You will be responsible for developing programs, validating functionality, and commissioning manufacturing equipment in a prototyping environment, from small bench-top fixtures to fully integrated robotic cells. You will select, setup, program, and validate adhesive dispensing systems, welding systems, servo presses, nutrunners, and other devices as needed. You will provide hands-on support during early stage prototype builds, including integration of equipment to our inventory control system and MES. You will partner with manufacturing engineering to create specifications for new equipment, manage system integrators during equipment design/build, and support FAT/SAT activities. In addition to working directly with equipment, you will guide contract manufacturers on best practices for equipment design and validation, safety systems implementation, and general equipment troubleshooting.
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics Engineering required, MS preferred
- Travel to vendors, suppliers, and production line facilities will be required. Projects are cyclical with initial development in local labs eventually transitioning to manufacturing sites during production ramp.