Engineering Lab Technician
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Mar 9, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200228707
Apple's packaging is often a customer's first experience with our brand. There is a universal joy and excitement in unboxing an Apple product-an experience crafted by a world-class engineering team. Each detail of interacting with our packaging and unboxing a product plays a crucial in crafting a unique customer experience. We do this with an unwavering commitment to protect our products and leave the world better than we found it. As a function of Packaging Product Design, the Packaging Lab Technician investigates new packaging materials and validates design performance throughout all stages of development across our entire product line up. We perform testing which simulates real-world package drops, environmental, transportation conditions for global distribution. Each test is followed by thorough inspection of performance using metrology equipment and visual inspections to detail findings. You will also take a leading role to help maintain a state of the art, multi-functional engineering lab. This role requires complex problem solving, outstanding attention to detail, and demonstrated success working in both autonomous and collaborative ways.
- Typically requires at least 2+ years of test experience, experience in a hardware or testing lab is a plus.
- Have a previous track record of success executing testing, processing and summarizing test data.
- Extraordinarily detail oriented while handling samples and test data.
- Experience with electrical and mechanical lab measurement equipment
- Strong problem solving skills, utilizing creative and innovative thinking, including the ability to make good technical decisions with minimal guidance
- Extremely well organized with data, information, files, and physical spaces.
- Excellent written and verbal communicate skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead others, including members of cross-functional teams.
Core to this role is conducting mechanical testing, processing and summarizing data. You will utilize dynamic test equipment, help assemble test fixtures and support test method development to validate packaging performance, often working with remote teams. Documenting accurate data and organizing comprehensive test results for our engineering teams is critical. You will support selection, initial setup, installation, ongoing maintenance and coordinate calibration of test equipment used in labs. This will include developing and implementing long-term processes and strategies to ensure minimal down time. You will also build technical documentation and facilitate equipment, safety and lab onboarding training to members of our team. A successful candidate will have solid understanding of physical testing, data collection, technical troubleshooting, and a strong instinct to provide accurate data with a high level of attention to detail. This position will include close cooperation within the Packaging Product Design team and cross-functional partners both in Austin and other remote locations.
Education & Experience
AS/BS in Mechanical Engineering or relevant work experience.