Machine Learning Engineer - Auctions, Ad Platforms
Austin , Texas , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Mar 10, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200229142
At Apple, we work every single day to build products that enrich people's lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and visionary content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in App Store. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. Our auctions power rapidly growing marketplaces and are critical to the health and diversity of our ecosystem. We are looking for an ambitious individual who can thrive in an Agile environment. You will develop and apply advanced techniques and algorithms to improve an ad network. You'll be developing and implementing new optimization, pacing, pricing, and winner selection algorithms. The position also involves developing a keen understanding of the ad network behavior; detecting meaningful data patterns; assuring the integrity and breadth of the data; measuring user, campaign, and app performance; and finally analyzing the results of extremely large-scale experiments. The successful candidate will also apply advanced game theory, auction theory, and ML techniques for designing pricing/auction strategies, and ranking algorithms.
- Experience developing software that supports low latency, high bandwidth applications, ideally in auction markets including capital markets, commodities, futures, options, or advertising auction markets
- Experience designing, developing, testing, and/or operating microservice architectures in low latency, high bandwidth, mission critical applications
- Deep expertise in Java, Python in low latency online applications
- Research experience or deep professional knowledge in Auction Theory & Design, Game Theory, Economics, Algorithms, Distributed Systems, Statistics
- Proficiency with databases, SQL, and scripting languages
- Practical understanding of the mathematics behind modern machine learning, linear algebra and statistics.
- Experience with data analysis, business intelligence and statistical tools
- Proven ability to apply statistical techniques to tackle real problems
- Demonstrated success in technical leadership roles taking requirements from design through to delivery both independently and with larger teams
- Understanding of scalable architectures including operational concerns
- Experience with and passion for working on shared codebases, including CI/CD, devops, and internal open source approaches
- Ability to be a great teammate under tight deadline constraints is key to success
You will have the opportunity to work on auctions that occur millions of times a day, which have strong requirements for both technical SLA performance and delivering a fair and vibrant marketplace for discovery. We operate a platform with extreme scale requirements and value. You will, in partnership with our product management colleagues, propose, design and analyze new features and algorithms to improve the performance of our auctions. You will work closely with operational teams on deployment, monitoring, management concerns. You will join a team passionate about data privacy, fairness, and trust, with profound responsibility to ensure those things, while protecting the value our customers and developers count on from our advertising products.
Education & Experience
MS/PHD (or equivalent professional experience) in computer science or related field, with 3+ years relevant professional experience.