Design for Manufacturing (DFM) Engineer - PCBA
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Mar 10, 2021
Role Number: 200228566
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don't just create products - they create the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple products are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside. Inside every one of our products, are some of the world's most challenging consumer PCBA and Flex designs. Imagine yourself as a select member of the team that brings these assemblies from concept to high volume manufacturing.
- The PCBA DFM Engineer or Technologist will have a deep level of creativity and curiosity about materials science and electronics packaging at all levels.
- 2+ years of research or process development experience in an applicable field.
- Familiarity with the properties and process used in microelectronics fabrication and PCBA assembly.
- Aptitude to work with a multi-functional team to define requirements and suitable metrics for the performance of new products and process.
- Proven ability to self-manage and deliver results in a pure development role.
- Capability and willingness to travel frequently, i.e. >20%.
You will provide verification of:
Volume and quick turn PCB vendor technical and quality capabilities You will provide development of:
PCBA DFM procedures and checklists
Array drawings for product PCBAs
PCBA process parameters and procedures as guidelines for Apple subcontractors
PCBA assembly workmanship standards
Data requirements for PCBA PVT assembly at Apple subcontractors
Necessary tooling and/or automation equipment
Cable assembly processes using hot bar equipment You will ensure the following at manufacturing subcontractors:
Proper management of PCBA prototype, EVT, DVT, PVT, assembly and test
Proper use of approved materials for PCBA Prototype, EVT, and DVT assembly and test
Maintain approved manufacturing processes, approved materials, and quality levels You will engage multi-functional teams to:
Support component engineering by ensuring component specification content meets PCBA DFM requirements
Support ECAD librarians by ensuring development of ECAD library parts which meet PCBA DFM requirements
Support ongoing Apple service/quality issues as a resource for PCBA manufacturing issues
Education & Experience
A degree in an engineering discipline (mechanical, chemical, electrical or materials science) is required and a strong, directly applicable background will be considered as well.