Job Title: Manager, Strategy & Logistics
Office: Office of the Chief Operating Officer
Date Posted: 1/27/2021
Salary Range: 1--9 / $70,676 - $99,140
Our public school students need your expertise, passion and leadership.
We are looking for highly motivated and skilled talent to join our team at District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS). We seek individuals who are passionate about transforming the DC school system and making a significant difference in the lives of public school students, parents, principals, teachers, and central office employees.
DCPS serves 48,750 students in the nation's capital through the efforts of approximately 4,000 educators in 115 schools. As part of a comprehensive reform effort to become the preeminent urban school system in America, DCPS intends to have the highest-performing, best paid, most satisfied, and most honored educator force in the nation and a distinctive central office staff whose work supports and drives instructional excellence and significant achievement gains for DCPS students.
The Manager, Strategy & Logistics (MSL) is charged with ensuring that all aspects of strategy & logistics are high functioning so that school leaders and teachers can focus exclusively on student achievement and classroom instruction. The Manager, Strategy & Logistics will serve in schools with a student enrollment of 500 or less, and will lead in the following areas of operations: managing operations team (front office and custodians), enrollment, budget and procurement oversight, facilities, security, food & nutrition, logistics and scheduling, custodial/office/technology inventory & supply management, human resources, POC to Central Office operational teams (food, warehouse, business ops, etc.), school emergency preparedness and response, and data systems management. The Manager, Strategy & Logistics will manage six or less staff and will be responsible for one to three of the following operations add-ons: technology, external partnerships, health, school based operational systems, attendance team management, school policies/procedures, payroll, substitute management, field trips, and modernizations. The MSL will participate in the outstanding professional development and cohort-based support, including regular coaching and opportunities to shadow excellent operations teams in other schools. This position is a safety-sensitive position. As a result, throughout employment this position will be subject to the Employee Mandatory Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy.
The Manager, Strategy & Logistics will report to the Director, Operations except in schools with fewer than 400 students and there is no Director. In this case the Manager, Strategy & Logistics will report to the Principal.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position.
This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
Supervising Operations Staff
- Directly supervises and conducts IMPACT evaluations for front office (assistants and coordinators of strategy & logistics, registrars, clerks, business managers) and custodial staff in the absence of the Principal.
Finance and Purchasing
- Supports school leaders by:
- Serving as a point of contact for the Business Manager or functions of the Business Manager.
- Evaluating information and consulting with others to ensure a realistic and balanced budget.
- Managing school-based purchasing and looks for cost-savings.
- Assisting in timekeeping.
Facilities and Logistics
- Serves as the point of contact for School Operations Specialist from DCPS Central Office.
- Monitors the building for cleanliness, physical condition, and safety matters.
- Monitors and ensures that work orders have been submitted through Salesforce work order system.
Student Information Systems
- Ensures there are clear procedures for the managing of student information, generating of reports, and monitoring of distribution of progress reports and report cards.
- Ensures the school maintains accurate student records, including attendance and enrollment.
- Monitors student transcript requests, teacher recommendations, and other records requests.
Human Resources Management
- Monitors timekeeping and payroll process for all school staff, including the request and use of substitute teachers; ensures the main office is fully functional and staffed.
- Ensures everyone has a clear understanding of DCPS-wide and school-specific policies and procedures.
- Liaises with DCPS Central Office to establish clear communication and operations.
Student Recruitment & Enrollment
- Coordinates student recruitment plan and mailings for all grade-levels (including open houses and neighborhood canvasing with fliers and brochures).
- Supports the student enrollment and audit processes.
- Ensures that the student enrollment binders and materials are in compliance, through mock audits.
Health and Safety
- Collaborates with school security to ensure student safety through school security guard post-orders and position rotations.
- Ensures that documentation for all drills and safety tests are maintained (specifically on the Emergency and Safety Alliance website).
- Collaborates with administrative staff to establish emergency response teams, review protocols, and ensure the plan is updated as needed.
- Collaborates with custodial staff to ensure all emergency equipment (e.g., fire extinguisher, smoke detectors, etc.) is in place and operational.
- Ensures that the annual school response plan is regularly updated and reviewed, and the school's Emergency Response Team is aware of their responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Two to three years of managerial experience.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- Entrepreneurial, extremely organized, creative and solutions-oriented, systematic, and committed to building a high-performing, high-functioning school.
Personal Qualities of Top Candidates
- Commitment to Equity: Passionate about closing the achievement gap and ensuring that every child, regardless of background or circumstance, receives an excellent education.
- Leadership: Coaches, mentors, and challenges others to excel despite obstacles and challenging situations.
- Focus on Data-Driven Results: Relentlessly pursues the improvement of central office performance and school leadership, instruction, and operations, and is driven by a desire to produce quantifiable student achievement gains.
- Innovative Problem-Solving: Approaches work with a sense of possibility and sees challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; takes initiative to explore issues and find potential innovative solutions.
- Adaptability: Excels in constantly changing environments and adapts flexibly in shifting projects or priorities to meet the needs of a dynamic transformation effort; comfortable with ambiguity and non-routine situations.
- Teamwork: Increases the effectiveness of surrounding teams through collaboration, constant learning and supporting others; sensitive to diversity in all its forms; respects and is committed to learning from others.
- Dependability: Does whatever it takes to consistently deliver with high quality under tight deadlines; successfully manages own projects through strong organization, detailed workplans, and balancing of multiple priorities.
- Communication and Customer Service Skills: Communicates clearly and compellingly with diverse stakeholders in both oral and written forms; anticipates and responds to customer needs in a high-quality and courteous manner.