Monday, March 22, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than
260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies
, WordStream, and
and U.K. media company Newsquest.
There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit
Director, Product Development
USA TODAYs marketplace platforms group is looking for a director of product development to join our product team focused on new product development, focused on the digital transformation of large existing businesses into digital first businesses that support our local news presence throughout the United States.
The director of product development will play a key role in defining the architecture, developing features and mentoring junior developers working on the web applications and APIs. You will be working on cutting edge, highly scalable web applications to bolster and grow and transform our existing business. You will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing these sites while helping to develop new products.
As a Director, product development, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage a team of junior and senior engineers across a set of initiatives, ensuring their ability to deliver, grow, and learn new skills and capabilities.
- Define high level product architecture that delivers value to market in a timely manner, building new applications on modern technologies and frameworks while interfacing with legacy platforms within Gannett.
- Define and enable our teams to deliver higher quality code more quickly through the adoption and evangelizing of modern software development techniques.
- Development of a high traffic websites and restful APIs including hands on implementation, testing, review, and documentation
- Work with stakeholders during the requirement gathering and acceptance testing process
- Troubleshoot operations issues as required
- Integrate internal as well as third-party web services and components
- Consistently follow and continue to help improve our processes including source control, deployment and issue tracking
- Document solutions to institutionalize knowledge for the development, operational, support, and end user communities
The USA Today marketplace platforms is a polyglot environment utilizing a number of key technologies, including:
- Platform: Kubernetes, Skaffold
- Data: Hasura, postgres, graphQL
A Director, Product Development is expected to work effectively as an autonomous member of our team. As such we are looking for:
- Minimum 8 years of web development and integration experience
- Demonstrated professional development experience developing and consuming APIs and web services
- Practical knowledge of software development methodologies
- Bachelors degree expected in a technical discipline or compensating experience
Desired skills would include the following:
- JIRA and Confluence
- Build automation
- Developing and deploying applications hosted in AWS or similar cloud environments
Gannett Co., Inc.
is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.