The primary responsibility of the Health Information Technician I is the accurate entry of scanned documents to the electronic health record and customer service for both internal and external customers for the Health Information Management department through incoming calls, email, and visitors to the department. The Health Information Technician is responsible for the maintenance, storage, retrieval and release of the electronic health record in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal regulatory and HIPAA requirements.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Acquires clinical and administrative documentation for the legal medical record through daily rounds of patient care areas. Verifies receipt of hard copy patient records by comparing discharge patient list to hard copy documents received. Updates and verifies accuracy of missing charts list daily.
- Prepares documents for scanning according to department standard. Scans and indexes all document types to the correct patient, encounter, and document type. Performs real-time initial quality assessment on scanned records.
- Apply appropriate flags to records as requested in accordance with department policy.
- Ensures that any task started during scheduled shift is completed by end of shift or appropriate handoff is made to next shift. Seeks assistance and support when appropriate.
- Provides front desk and phone coverage as appropriate for scheduled shift. Demonstrated ability to utilize transcription tracking system to research reports and update status when required. Distributes incoming mail according to department standard.
- Records all requests for copies of medical records within the electronic health record (EHR) and provides records in electronic format whenever possible. Responds to urgent external requests for patient records for continuing care and Medicare appeals. Retrieve appropriate documentation from multiple source systems to ensure legal medical record is complete. Release of records must be compliant with Anne Arundel Health System guidelines and state and federal laws.
- Review and follow through on all incoming requests from patients, other healthcare providers and insurance representatives regarding information on admission and discharge dates.
- Request, receive and return medical records through off-site storage on line ordering system.
- Process/distribute provider copies of transcribed reports including Endoscopy reports.
- Accurately updates internal dashboards in a timely manner as requested.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Six months' health information management experience in an electronic health record environment or RHIT/RHIA eligible preferred.
- Medical terminology and knowledge of Microsoft Excel (import, export, graphs, pivot tables), Word and Outlook is preferred.
- Previous experience in document management (preparing, scanning, indexing, quality assurance), customer communication, and regulatory requirements related to the legal medical record is preferred.
- Familiarity with Epic, Hyland OnBase, as well as previous data entry experience is preferred.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands - Medium
Medium: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Alternating periods of extended walking and sitting with computer/keyboard work.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.