Wednesday, March 24, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team.
At Gannett, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity are core pillars of our organization and influence all that we do. We foster an environment that lifts all voices and welcomes everyone to take part in our journey into the future where every employee is heard, respected, and given an equal opportunity to thrive.
Digital and Visual Storyteller
Join the award-winning staff of The Hattiesburg American/hattiesburgamerican.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, as a digital and visual storyteller. This is a hybrid job for a journalist with a visual eye who also enjoys telling stories using words for stories to be told across both print and online platforms.
Whether it be football at the University of Southern Mississippi, a press conference in downtown Hattiesburg, our team is responsible for some of the best journalism in the state.
As part of our staff, youd also be part of the USA TODAY Network, a group of more than 250 publications that work collaboratively on projects and community coverage.
- He or she will identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across mobile, desktop and social media platforms.
- Research, report and produce compelling content that informs and engages readers.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Build and execute content for upper funnel consumers to drive audience growth across our network through increased subscriptions.
- Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the audience.
- Use metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Produce enterprise visual stories that have an impact on the community. We emphasize galleries and want more video stories to enhance our web offerings. Collaboration with other reporters is an essential part of this job.
- Transmit photos on assignment when necessary, from national breaking news or other key live assignments to the USA TODAY Network.
- Bachelor's or masters in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
Strong command of AP grammar and have the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Photography & Video