Senior Accountant - Financial Reporting
The color of pride: Benjamin Moore is proud to be a part of Berkshire Hathaway, which was recognized by Fortune magazine as the world's fourth most admired company. And for more than 130 years we've been a respected leader in the architectural coatings and home décor landscape; creating the products and tools that enrich and beautify thousands of communities each day. We recognize that our associates are the driving force behind our success and we strive to provide a work environment where hard work, creativity and purposeful collaboration are fostered and encouraged.
Join a company where innovation is constantly recognized as we look for individuals who produce world-class products, best-in-class services and customer experiences, design pioneering paints using the latest technologies and deliver unparalleled value and brand experiences for our customers and retail network.
At Benjamin Moore, our people are the heart of the company and our number one asset. We are committed to providing safe working conditions at all of our locations and have invested heavily in measures aimed at keeping employees healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic. With safety as one of our core company values, we’ve modified facilities and work schedules to support social distancing, established enhanced cleaning and sanitization protocols, and regularly provide personal protective equipment to all employees—including masks, gloves and hand sanitizer. Ensuring the well-being of our team members is a top priority.
The Senior Accountant of Financial Reporting is responsible for the company’s general accounting, consolidation, financial reporting and technical accounting functions. This role is responsible for ensuring the company is adhering to GAAP and company policy and procedures. The ideal candidate will have a record of improving, automating and streamlining procedures while consistently achieving corporate financial goals.
- Perform the monthly consolidation process including entering top-side journal entries, at both the legal entity level and in the corporate consolidation via SAP Business Planning and Consolidation.
- Preparation of monthly review package for executive leadership including compilation and review of schedules submitted by other accounting and finance team members for accuracy, consistency and completeness.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of internal and external financial statements, footnotes, and reports to executive management and Berkshire Hathaway (Parent).
- Verify, balance, and reconcile various kinds of transactions and reports.
- Analyze and verify internal consistency, completeness and mathematical accuracy of accounting documents.
- Assist in accounting for all pension and post-retirement benefit accounts. Prepare annual pension and 401(k) financial statements and assist with external audits and regulatory filings. Record, analyze and reconcile financial accounts related to retirement pension plans and post-retirement benefit programs in US and Canada.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly and yearly census data.
- Assist the Manager of Financial Reporting with developing and updating written policies and procedures over the financial reporting process including quarterly peer analysis.
- On an ad hoc basis, conduct Technical Research and resolve accounting issues including evaluation and implementation of new accounting pronouncements to ensure US GAAP compliance. Monitor pending guidance and potential impact on the company.
- Participate in special projects and prepare ad hoc analyses, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and 2-4 years’ accounting experience. Big 4 plus public company financial reporting experience preferred
- CPA, CMA and/or MBA
- Strong working knowledge Microsoft Office; proficient in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of SAP BPC and Business Objects a plus
- Knowledge of best practices in internal controls and financial reporting
- Strong technical US GAAP accounting knowledge
- Must be highly analytical and inquisitive with strong organizational abilities, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and meet monthly deadlines and goals
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills, ability to work in a team-based, continuous improvement environment
- Strong Business Acumen and ability to interpret and explain financial results and trends
- Proactive and timely in reviewing the accuracy and relevance of the financial and other information that is provided to management
- Expected travel up to <5% in="" us="" and="" canada="" no="" extended="" projects="" weekend="" work="" as="" needed="" span="">