Senior Materials Lab Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Mar 25, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200233386
Apple's Softgoods Engineering team is relatively newer to Apple. We work with soft polymers, silicones, textiles and leather. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enable new product categories, and to enhance Apple's existing product lines. Bringing Apple engineering and precision to products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open-minded approach. What is the role? We have an opportunity for a talented Sr. Materials Lab Engineer to utilize their in-depth characterization skills using advanced analytical tools to extract the structure-property relationships that drive material performance in our SoftGoods products. You will be part of a multi-functional design team responsible for conceiving, crafting and producing exciting new products composed of SoftGoods materials. You should be a detail-oriented problem solver who can provide actionable recommendations to material and product designers. You should be passionate about materials development and characterization, sustainability and the environment, establishing relationships with cross functional partners and approaching problem solving with curiosity and imagination. We value people with a desire to learn new skills and a mindset that challenging questions are opportunities for insight. To that end, we are committed to professional development across all aspects of materials and communication, with mentorship and training opportunities both within and outside Apple.
- 7+ years of experience with polymer characterization techniques, such as DSC, TGA, TMA, DMA and rheology.
- 2+ years of industry experience with an emphasis on polymer or textile development
- Extensive hands-on experience in thermomechanical analysis of polymers (DSC, TGA, DMA, TMA, rheology). Ability to provide an understanding beyond standardized protocols (e.g. ASTM, ISO)
- Strong background in failure analysis and test method development using general material characterization (microscopy, surface roughness, Instron mechanical testing, etc) and some analytical chemistry techniques (e.g. FTIR)
- Advanced knowledge of the structure-property relationships in polymers that govern mechanical performance, material aesthetics, and overall function versus quality. Familiarity with soft materials, such as textiles, leathers, non-wovens, and adhesives, is a plus
- Strong ability to communicate detailed knowledge and understanding to various customers with different (including non-technical) backgrounds
- Exceptional analytical and organization skills
- Able to work independently as well as with teammates
- Drive hands-on scientific studies of material performance, from designing an experimentation plan, to operating characterization instrumentation and analyzing final data - Establish trust-based relationships with product design teams in Softgoods and beyond, and apply your expertise to accurately translate product-level requirements into material-level properties - Design custom test procedures based on new product design requirements and validate those procedures through data collection before handing off for scale-up - Provide insight on instrumentation capabilities and limitations in the context of failure analysis and/or material performance testing - Communicate findings in a clear, concise manner to multiple audiences. Extract practical recommendations from lab work to inform on material selection, design feasibility, and manufacturing process development - Stay abreast of new technologies, processes, industry trends and changes in test methodologies - Collaborate with a team of lab engineers to delegate work and provide testing assistance when needed; train others on equipment use and maintenance
Education & Experience
- PhD or MS in Polymer Science & Engineering, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in Materials, Fiber Science & Engineering, or related fields.