Voluntown Board of Education
Position: Transportation Coordinator
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Strong record keeping and communication skills.
- Ability to schedule and supervise.
- Exhibit competency in technology.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Current CDL with P/S/Air Brake endorsements.
School bus driving experience, driver training experience, good public relations and personnel management skills, computer skills, knowledge of Connecticut Special Education transportation laws and regulations, and experience in a supervisory capacity.
To provide day-to-day supervision and coordination of student transportation program and general assistance in transporting students to and from school.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Schedule, assign, oversee and evaluate the work performance of all student transportation personnel.
2. Communicate with and assist School Administration in the daily operations of the buses, vans, and contracted services, as needed.
3. Participate, in conjunction with the School Administration, in the hiring process for new transportation employees.
4. Enforce and administer collective bargaining provisions applicable to student transportation personnel.
5. Serve as Transportation Safety Coordinator as well as a member of the School and Community Safety Team, CIT (Crisis Intervention Team), and the Evacuation Drill Team.
6. Assist in establishing performance standards for student transportation personnel and take corrective measures to implement those standards.
7. Report road conditions to the school administration and town highway department.
8. Assist in the delivery of buses for maintenance.
9. Maintain log relative to fuel, oil, mileage, and maintenance/repair schedules.
10. Coordinate with the Central Office for pre-employment screening and testing of applicants for student transportation positions.
11. Development of bus routes and make recommendations for improved efficiency with approval of School Administration.
12. Coordinate with the Central Office the scheduling of drug and other testing required of student transportation personnel.
13. Maintain and file at the Central Office updated records of and assure completion of required physical examinations for student transportation staff.
14. Adjust the schedule as needed, and effectively schedule the back-up driver.
15. Drive as a substitute driver, as needed.
16. Provide driver training.
17. Schedule and implement the mandated six hours of annual safety training for drivers.
18. Assist the School Administration in performing such other duties and responsibilities that may arise due to the nature of the position.
19. Maintain good public relations and a working relationship with the Selectman’s Office, Town Hall and the community.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) for 194 days - 184 student days plus five (5) full days before school starts and five (5) full days after school ends. There will also be 25 four (4) hour days in the summer.
Applicants must submit a letter of interest to the Superintendent with a copy to the Executive Assistant to the Superintendent/HR Specialist, by Friday, March 19, 2021 by 3:00 p.m. Any questions with regard to this position should be directed to the Superintendent of Schools.