Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Mar 26, 2021
Role Number: 200233527
Apple is seeking an outgoing and enthusiastic dimensional engineer to join the Special Projects Group. The successful candidate will take a lead role in defining the dimensional strategy for the product to ensure industry-leading fit and finish as well as function. This engineer will bring cross-functional teams together and use GD&T fundamentals to deliver optimized solutions that meet the product build objectives. To be effective in this role, this person will need to collaborate successfully with both internal and external stakeholders. If you're passionate about precision, have a deep understanding of GD&T, have a working knowledge of diverse mass-production manufacturing technologies, and a data-driven approach to problem solving, this role is for you.
- 5+ years in a dimensional engineering related role in a mass production industry
- In-depth knowledge of GD&T and ASME Y14.5-2009
- Proficiency in 1D and 3D dimensional variation analysis
- Proficiency in VisVSA and/or 3DCS preferred
- Knowledge of measurement systems and manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of basic statistical concepts and process control
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to clearly and accurately explain technical issues
- Experience in managing multiple development programs with internal engineering groups and external technology development partners and vendors
In this role you'll be responsible for defining and documenting datum and locator schemes at the part and sub-assembly level, running both 1D and 3D tolerance stacks, using statistical data to make design improvement recommendations, and tracking implementation of these recommendations into the designs to ensure the product conforms to the build objectives. You will also be responsible for working with the manufacturing and assembly teams to ensure that not only is the design optimized, but also the method of manufacture and assembly align with the design requirements. You will work with the quality organization to align and agree on check gauges and measurement techniques. As part of the role, you'll help to define the tools and methods used to generate the statistical data needed to influence and improve the design. You will be responsible for defining drawing standards and ensuring consistency in how GD&T is used within all teams across the product. You will be responsible for evaluating measurement data, and based on this data, make recommendations to the manufacturing team on which changes to make to best meet the build objectives.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's or Master's in Mechanical Engineering or applicable fields
- Expect to travel to external vendors, suppliers, and production line facilities. This is a role in Product Design. Although travel is expected, it is at reasonable frequency.