Optical Network Engineer
Dallas , Texas , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Mar 26, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200233061
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, extraordinary ideas have a way of becoming industry leading products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Apple's core network services team is looking for a senior level engineer to join the optical transport team! As a member of this team you will be jointly responsible for the optical design, engineering, and implementation of Apple's global optical backbone including evaluation and qualification of new network technologies used in metro, long haul, and subsea optical transport networks.
- Strong technical project management skills, including the skill to lead technically
- Strong engineering knowhow, and adaptation to a multifaceted project environment while leading multiple projects simultaneously.
- Validated leadership and collaboration skills in working within a cross-organizational setting to design and build an efficient, scalable, and operationally robust network.
- Hands on experience and understanding of the theory, design, implementation, and troubleshooting of modern Multi-Tbps coherent DWDM networks including EDFA/Raman amplification and CDC ROADM architecture within a web-scale, service provider, or large scale enterprise environment.
- Experience with inside and outside plant optical fiber, including route engineering, vulnerability mitigation, and OSP/ISP carrier interaction.
- Knowledge of data center and colocation environments, including space & power engineering, network hardware installation requirements, and general operational standard methodologies.
- Candidate must be an extraordinary teammate who is keen on contributing to the wider organization's goals and work you're doing.
This position is a multifaceted role encompassing the complete lifecycle of transport network engineering spanning from initial optical network design, technical mentorship of network rollout and testing, through to the commissioning and handover to the network operations team. To meet new requirements & evolving technologies the role also incorporates NPI engineering activities including network vendor collaboration, equipment & technology evaluation, lab & field testing, and the successful introduction into a production environment. As a Sr. Optical Engineer you'll provide technical leadership to a multi-functional group including network acquisition/procurement, project managers, equipment vendors, dark fiber providers, and field deployment teams. This is a fast-paced and dynamic environment requiring the ability to multi-task multiple concurrent projects while providing strategic planning and execution in order to optimize efficiency and maintain engineering excellence.
Education & Experience
A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Applied Science, or 10+ years equivalent work experience