Provide on-site custodial and routine maintenance functions and activities of a school site; under the guidance of the Head Custodian and Principal and the supervision of the CBO.
- Perform custodial and limited grounds/maintenance activities pertaining immediately to safety (i.e., fibar maintenance, de-icing walkways, leaves, tree droppings, etc.).
- Pick up litter and other debris and sweep school grounds and the areas adjacent to school facilities.
- Perform emergency cleanup services resulting from breakage, vandalism, weather and illness.
- Confer with the Principal and CBO regarding maintenance needs of school buildings and facilities.
- Inspect buildings and grounds for damage, needed repairs, security and safety hazards.
- Oversee and assist with the set-up of rooms, furniture and equipment arrangement for special events.
- Participate and perform in the major cleaning of the school plant.
- Sweep, mop, strip, wax and seal floors; vacuum, spot clean, shampoo and extract rugs and carpets.
- Dust, wash and polish furniture and woodwork.
- Empty and clean waste receptacles including trash barrels.
- Clean restrooms, locker rooms and shower.
- Lock and unlock gates and doors, security systems and raise and lower flags.
- Operate and program low voltage systems.
- Perform routine inspections of fire extinguishers and playground equipment.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or equivalent is desirable
Any combination equivalent to sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above and one year’s custodial experience in a school or related environment is desirable
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Driver License
- California Department of Justice fingerprint clearance
- TB test clearance
- Passing employee entrance evaluation
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Methods, materials and equipment used in custodial, groundskeeping and general maintenance work.
- Requirements of maintaining school buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Operating principles of heating and air conditioning equipment.
- Safe practices related to cleaning methods and procedures.
- Basic record-keeping techniques.
- Reading and writing communication skills.
- Basic first aid procedures and methods.
- Plan and perform skilled custodial services.
- Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
- Estimate time and materials involved with the custodial program.
- Work with staff, students and parents in a tactful, courteous manner using good judgment.
- Promote and maintain good public relations within the school district.
- Be honest, show good initiative, be dependable, be loyal and maintain confidentiality
Indoor and outdoor environment; regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors
Sitting, walking or standing for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate equipment; bending at the waist; reaching overhead and horizontally. Ability to lift the following: Floor Lift-75 lbs.; Chest Lift-75 lbs.