Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team.
At Gannett, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity are core pillars of our organization and influence all that we do. We foster an environment that lifts all voices and welcomes everyone to take part in our journey into the future where every employee is heard, respected, and given an equal opportunity to thrive.
City Government/Growth & Development
The Greenville News/greenvilleonline.com, part of theUSA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a City Government/Growth & Development Reporter to cover city government and growth and development in Mauldin, Simpsonville and Fountain Inn, South Carolina.
This area, known as the Golden Strip, has great stories to tell, and it offers an opportunity for a reporter to hone their skills. We want a reporter who will hold public officials accountable, help our audience understand their community and give readers the power to make informed decisions.
Were looking for a reporter who will cover issues and not meetings. You will need to think critically and creatively and write with clarity and impact on complex issues. The beat is highly competitive with other news outlets, and the communities in this area are among the fastest growing in South Carolina. This position requires a reporter who understands the impact of growth on a community from cost-of-living increases to issues such as overtaxed infrastructure and sprawl.
You will need to build trust with sources and have an eye for important details buried in local government agendas, budgets and public records. You should have a desire to dig into data and file FOIA requests to get at information thats not readily available.
This reporter will have to build a beat and have the news judgment to recognize compelling, socially shareable stories and you will be quick to jump on them.
Greenville is the anchor city in a metropolitan area of roughly 1 million people that is consistently listed among the best places to live in the United States. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and sits halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta. We are 45 minutes from the Blue Ridge Mountains and three hours from the Atlantic Coast.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Become the leading voice on the Golden Strip.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Provide thoughtful analysis of local issues.
- Work with our audience development editor to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content teams across the region to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A year of reporting experience preferred, but well consider a recent graduate with all the right tools.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation.
- Strong news judgement and ability to multitask.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for all driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.