Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team.
At Gannett, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity are core pillars of our organization and influence all that we do. We foster an environment that lifts all voices and welcomes everyone to take part in our journey into the future where every employee is heard, respected, and given an equal opportunity to thrive.
Report for America Reporter
The Athens Banner-Herald/OnlineAthens.com, in Athens, GA, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is hiring a reporter who will cover issues of equality, equity, diversity and inclusivity in the Athens area. This includes but would not be limited to our communities of color, food insecurity, education inequities, gender disparities and inequality among other marginalized groups.
This position is offered in conjunction with Report for America and is part of what we will call the Athens Equality Lab, as there will also be a dedicated photographer to this work.
The successful candidate will be part of the 2021 cohort of Report for America journalists and will have already been screened in that process. Only candidates who have applied through Report for America and been selected as finalists for this position are eligible to apply.
This position is offered in conjunction with Report for America and is a one-year term with possible renewal.
The job description is as described in the posting by Report for America.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience covering hyperlocal communities and issues of inequality, strong source builder and networker.
- Data journalism skills are also a plus.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.