The Food Safety/Quality Assurance (FS/QA) Manager has the primary responsibility of managing and continuously improving the plant’s food safety and quality systems to ensure compliance with all corporate requirements for the production of safe, quality and wholesome pet food products. This includes supervision of FS Supervisor, QA Coordinator and QA Laboratory Technicians, as well as develop and implement inspection, sampling, testing and monitoring programs to assure all the products manufactured by the plant meet customer specifications. The FS/QA Manager serves as Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) and ensures that requirements of all applicable food safety rules/regulations and industry codes of practice are met, and plant management/personnel are kept informed of the latest of changes to relevant legislation, scientific and technical developments, emerging food safety issues, and relevant industry codes of practice. The FS/QA Manager serves as the SQF Practitioner.
- Drive the corporate Food Safety and Quality Objectives outlined in the company’s Management Policy.
- Manage the food safety and quality systems (including current Good Manufacturing Practices, other prerequisite food safety programs, quality fundamentals, HACCP/Food Safety Plan and Food Quality Plan) to meet the requirements of the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing and SQF Quality Code.
- Use statistical process control (SPC) and/or other quality tools to reduce process variation and drive root cause analysis of non-conformities.
- Manage the Food Safety Plan to ensure compliance with FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) requirements.
- Ensure regulatory requirements and standards such as NIST Handbook 133, labeling are met.
- Assist and oversee work of FS Supervisor, QA Coordinator and QA Laboratory Technicians.
- Assure SSOPs and food safety/quality policies, procedures and schedules are implemented, understood, routinely assessed, improved upon and well maintained.
- Assure that the environmental monitoring and sampling/microbiological testing of finished product programs are implemented, routinely assessed, improved upon and well maintained, as directed by company policies.
- Coordinate direct process control, product evaluation/inspection and analytical testing activities.
- Collect, analyze and interpret relevant data.
- Coordinate external and internal food safety/quality audits and inspections for the facility.
- Lead cross-functional teams in the investigations of customer/consumer complaints and write or review corrective action reports (CARs).
- Identify, investigate failures, “not in specification” incidents, nonconformances, unusual occurrences and collaborate with cross-functional teams to take appropriate corrective/preventive actions.
- Manage QA Hold inventory.
- Maintain and report all site specific food safety/quality KPI’s.
- Travel to other ANI locations, suppliers or customers as needed.
- Identify relevant food safety and quality-related training needs, develop/implement employee training program.
- Act as a technical resource for operations team and other departments regarding product food safety and quality.
- Train, mentor and coach food safety, quality and sanitation personnel to foster the team spirit.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a Food Science, Microbiology or science discipline and at least 3 years’ experience in the food industry; OR an Associate’s degree in Sciences, Bachelor’s degree in a non-science discipline and at least 5 years’ experience in the food industry; Or at least 10 years’ experience in the food industry.
- Thermal processing experience or knowledge of LACF (Low Acid Canned Food) preferred.
- HACCP certified
- SQF Practitioner
- PCQI (Preventive Controls Qualified Individual)
- Experience in auditing, inspections and Quality Assurance.
- Technical knowledge of food safety and quality systems.
- Good problem solving and corrective action/resolution skills.
- Strong organizational, leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to work well as a member of a cross-functional team.
- Strong computer skills with experience using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work in a schedule-driven shift environment with a customer service orientation to support plant operations.
- Pre-employment drug screening, skills test and background check required.
- Food Safety and Good Manufacturing Practices, including appropriate safety equipment apply. Job will generally be performed in a manufacturing environment.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be required to sit for prolonged periods of time, climb stairs, travel on manlifts, climb ladders and walk plant floors that could exceed one mile of travel per day.
- The employee must have a full range of body movements including use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, computer equipment and peripherals; and bending, reaching, and crouching.
- Must have command of all five senses, sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
These vision requirements in each area must be sufficient to shift in focus from computer screens to close forms.
- Strength: Must have the ability to lift 20 pounds as required.
- Must be able to understand and follow work instructions in English.