Under the direct supervision of Maryland-licensed pharmacists, and in coordination with a designated Medication Reconciliation (Med Rec) pharmacist mentor, the Pharmacy Technician-Med Rec Lead oversees the training and quality oversight of technicians who perform a comprehensive admission medication history for patients in predetermined focus areas. The Med Rec Lead collaborates with Pharmacy management and the pharmacist mentor to coach each trainee through a structured training program, oversees their skill development, assists in their performance and internal certification, and monitors their ongoing accuracy.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of drug generic-trade names, dosage forms and strengths marketed, and exhibits functional familiarity with herbals and over-the-counter (OTC) medications, successfully imparting this knowledge to trainees.
- Uses appropriate pharmaceutical-medical terms, abbreviations, and symbols common to pharmacy practice, and trains new med rec technicians in their use. Provides training on appropriate Med Rec documentation procedures and processes.
- Performs calculations required to determine the usual dosage determinations and course of therapy duration, and evaluates this ability in new med rec trainees.
- Coaches med rec trainees in optimal methods of skillfully collecting accurate information regarding the patient's medication list. Demonstrates proper telephone etiquette during phone calls conducted as part of the medication history validation process, and follows up appropriately to requests for assistance.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information and complies with hospital privacy standards, conveying the importance of this to trainees. Represents the med rec program on relevant committees, and provides education when needed to those in other disciplines who create or edit the patient's prior-to-admission (PTA) med list.
- Builds and maintains quality and control measures to ensure program growth and effectiveness, utilizing established metrics.
- Involved in the interview process for Pharmacy technician applicants who are potential participants in the med rec program, and evaluates for potential aptitude and relevant background.
- Serves as the primary trainer of new Med Rec staff, and is a role model for executing the required scope of activities. In an open and professional manner, instructs and coaches the med rec technicians to acquire and maintain skills. Gives feedback to improve performance and enhance ongoing accuracy and effectiveness. Works to instill a commitment to excellence in each med rec tech.
- Utilizes opportunities for advancement of skills, and maintains knowledge of medication reconciliation strategies to achieve regulatory compliance. Maintains proficiency in those inpatient skills that support tasks assigned to med rec personnel.
- Interacts in a positive and professional manner with patients and their families, as well as with Pharmacy colleagues and other members of the health care team where medication reconciliation is provided. Complies with posted cautions for use of personal protective equipment or restricted access to patients.
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Pharmacy experience in a retail setting.
- This job responsibility requires understanding and previous experience with med rec process, understanding of the goals of the program and management strategies to accomplish them.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Proven teaching and mentoring aptitude.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to maintain a professional and collaborative relationship with other health professionals.
- Minimum of three years of Med Rec experience in a hospital setting, preferred
- Current registration as a Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Intern from the Maryland Board of Pharmacy.
- National Pharmacy Technician Board Certification (PTCB), preferred.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position may be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands - Medium Duty
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.