Public Information Officer (Lexington Police Department)
Minimum salary is 57,765.76 annually
This is an exempt position that is not eligible for over time pay
The purpose of this classification is to develop and execute a branding/marketing plan and act as media
and public relations coordinator for assigned area to ensure appropriate communications and information
sharing internally and with the public.
This classification works under general supervision, independently developing work methods and
Bachelor's degree or education and training equivalent to four (4) years of college education in business, liberal arts, or any field other than engineering or the hard sciences; and, a minimum of six (6) years of experience writing press releases, handling media inquiries, performing media interviews¿ promoting positive public relations with the public and media across an organization; being entrusted with sensitive and/or confidential information and communicating that information as appropriate; providing communications support to executives; organizing and preparing position statements, policy articles and relevant messages to further the mission and standing of an organization within a community; or, an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
* Creates content for media communication to include: print, radio, television, internet, intranet and social media.
* Photograph and/or video various activities performed by co-workers or the community and prepares them for distribution
* Operates as the web manager for the department.
* Performs media interviews and manages media concerns.
* Generates story ideas for the media and makes public appearances and speeches.
* Provides communications support, and creates and teaches public relations training.
* Enhances relationship with the media, and the public.
* Coordinates or determines time, place or sequence of operations or activities based on analysis of data or information and may implement and report on operations and activities.
* Reads scientific and technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and legal documents; speaks before professional and civic group; participates in panel discussions and speaks extemporaneously on a variety of subjects; writes complex articles, reports, and develops presentations for sophisticated audiences.
* Responsible for actions of others requiring development of procedures and constant decisions affecting co-workers, crime victims, patients, customers, clients, or others in the general public; works in a very fluid environment with guidelines but significant variation.
* Performs coordinating work involving guidelines and rules, with constant problem solving; requires continuous, close attention for accurate results or frequent exposure to unusual pressures.
***** Valid driver's license
***** Must obtain Kentucky Law Enforcement Council Instructor Certification based on availability upon hire
* Must be available for some after hours, holidays and callback duty.
* Must be able to operate Urban County Government equipment and vehicles in a safe, prudent and responsible manner.
* All positions require drug testing before employment and may require a postjob offer physical as stated in Ordinances 2114(b), 2213 and 2316.
* Pursuant to the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 and to sections 2152, 2234 and 2350 of the Code of Ordinances, all employees must remain drug and alcohol free when reporting to work, while at work and while engaged in any work related activities.
* Based on Federal Regulations 1910 this position may be eligible for and offered the hepatitis vaccinations. In addition, employees will be required to sign a statement stating they have accepted or declined the hepatitis vaccination.
Will be a training and experience evaluation from information provided on the application at filing deadline date.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit LFUCG electronic application through www.lexingtonky.gov and attach/upload applicable documents to verify your education, training, certification/license(s), or DD214 (for military preference with appropriate discharge) by filing deadline date.
RESUMES CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE APPLICATION, but may be electronically attached/uploaded to the application.
Please note that the section titled "Application Questionnaire" has to be completed every time a new or revised application is submitted. Even if other information is prefilled, the Questionnaire does not transfer.
***APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO COMPLETE THE ELECTRONIC APPLICATION IN ITS ENTIRETY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FURTHER***
LexingtonFayette Urban County Government offers an outstanding benefits package, i.e. voluntary benefits spending account program¿ three weeks vacation and three weeks sick leave per year.
Applicants must be able to perform all essential job functions, as identified in the job posting. All positions require drug testing before employment and may require a preemployment physical.
All applicants on previous eligibility lists for this classification must reapply in order to compete for this and future vacancies which may occur while this eligibility list is in effect.
For further information, call, email, or visit: Division of Human Resources
200 East Main Street Lexington, KY 40507
Phone: (859) 2583030
Web site: www.lexingtonky.gov Email: firstname.lastname@example.org