Job Title: Deputy Chief, Schools
Office: Office of Social Emotional Academic Development
Date Posted: 4/1/2021
Salary Range: 1-5 / $145,708 - $153,088
NTE Date: N/A
The Office of Social Emotional Academic Development works with the Chancellor to ensure coherence in the educational experience for our students, families, and schools. Our goal is to initiate change and lead DC Public Schools into the highest performing school district in the nation. We are currently in the process of creating our next strategic plan. After engaging with over 3,000 internal and external stakeholders to help shape the future of DCPS, our draft strategic priorities include:
- Promote Equity: Define, understand, and promote equity to close achievement gaps and interrupt institutional bias.
- Empower Our People: Recruit, develop, and retain a talented, caring, and diverse team.
- Educate the Whole Child: Provide rigorous, joyful and inclusive academic and social emotional experiences for all students.
- Ensure Excellent Schools: Increase the number of high quality schools across the district by defining blended autonomies for schools and creating opportunities for innovation.
- Engage Families: Deepen partnerships with families and community.
The Deputy Chief, Schools is responsible for all duties assigned by, acting on behalf of, and advising the Deputy Chancellor, Social Emotional and Academic Development (SEAD). The incumbent acts as a liaison between the various departments of central office and coordinates all work within SEAD. The Deputy Chief, Schools will be responsible for aligning the Office's work to the Chancellor's strategic plan, as well as coordinating projects for the Deputy Chancellor and monitoring them to completion. The Deputy Chief, Schools drives the formulation and implementation of internal policies and strategies to meet the vision and goals of the Office and the District of Columbia Public School system.
The Deputy Chief, Schools will report to the Deputy Chancellor, Social Emotional and Academic Development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serves as a key member of the Office's leadership team and helps drive the formulation and implementation of policies and strategies to meet the vision and goals of the Office and of DCPS.
- Manages the Office's budget and hiring systems and structures, including spending, procurement, and talent selection; and ensures Office processes align with those of the Office of Resource Strategy.
- Manages various functions related to internal Office communications and special projects.
- Collaborates and builds strong working relationships with other DCPS senior managers to develop and implement cross-functional strategies supporting the Chancellor's long-term vision of reform; and ensures continuous flow and exchange of information within the Office and with the rest of the DCPS organization.
- Demonstrates a commitment to antiracism, centers racial equity and inclusion, and interrogates how systemic and implicit biases play out in management practices; and proactively spots issues of equity and inclusion in the work and brings practical solutions.
- Assists the Deputy Chancellor with presentation of initiatives, strategies, and operations results to the Chancellor, DCPS management, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Responds effectively to urgent requests from multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops clear, specific, and ambitious performance targets; evaluates progress of Office programs and initiatives; holds parties accountable; and helps adjust strategy and approach accordingly to achieve success.
- Prepares and presents regular updates for senior management team, summarizing progress and key points of projects and initiatives and distilling key lessons that will accelerate the learning curve of DCPS senior leadership.
- Supports the Deputy Chancellor and the SEAD teams in working toward the big goals of the District.
- Supports the Deputy Chancellor in strategic decision-making; and leads strategic initiatives within SEAD to improve collaboration and processes.
- Manages a racially diverse team to great results, creates inclusive cultures where all members thrive, develops equitable processes and policies, and builds strong relationships across lines of identity and power.
- Bachelor's degree and eight to twelve years of related work experience, with management and project management experience strongly preferred.
- Master's degree strongly preferred.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with strategic planning, project management, people management, and/or program monitoring.
- STUDENTS FIRST: We recognize students as whole children and put their needs first in everything we do.
- COURAGE: We have the audacity to learn from our successes and failures, to try new things, and to lead the nation as a proof point of PK-12 success.
- EQUITY: We work proactively to eliminate opportunity gaps by interrupting institutional bias and investing in effective strategies to ensure every student succeeds.
- EXCELLENCE: We work with integrity and hold ourselves accountable for exemplary outcomes, service, and interactions.
- TEAMWORK: We recognize that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively and authentically.
- JOY: We enjoy our collective work and will enthusiastically celebrate our success and each other.