$67,204.80 - $115,648.00 Annually
Department of Libraries
4/22/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
Arlington County's Public Library is seeking an innovative and experienced manager to join the Public Services Leadership Team. We invite candidates who have proven leadership skills, are strategic thinkers and problem solvers, have strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills, and are dedicated to creating a welcoming and inclusive space for culture and connection.
Specific duties include:
- Providing mentorship, leadership, and management to professional and administrative staff, including development, training, and performance evaluations;
- Contributing to the planning and evaluation of system-wide policies and best practices;
- Directing the planning and implementation of services, partnerships, programs, events, outreach, staffing, and volunteer support;
- Assessing, recommending, and implementing streamlined processes and procedures to ensure and maintain quality standards;
- Making decisions based on data, including interaction reports, staffing audits, and location-specific reports;
- Supervising the maintenance of collections, in collaboration with Materials Management Division staff;
- Participating in Library and County committees or workgroups to further the Library's mission; and
- Developing and maintaining community contacts.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience as a hands-on manager, and be a problem solver and strategic thinker;
- An ability to manage multiple tasks, understand and focus on Library system-wide and County priorities, work successfully within a team, and communicate effectively;
- An awareness of current trends in public libraries, be proficient with technology, be forward thinking, and a proven innovator, and
- Experience as a change agent with a strong background in internal workgroup dynamics and performance management.
Minimum: Masters' Degree in Library Science or Information Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited college or university plus extensive leadership and management experience in a library setting which includes experience leading change efforts, leveraging technology and leading a team to achieve strategic initiatives.
Desirables: Preference will be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Managing public library services for a cultural diverse customer population;
- Direct supervision and evaluation of staff performance;
- Developing or re-imagining public library services; and/or
- Working cross departmentally to collaborate on major initiatives, projects or services.
As part of this application, please include a cover letter that describes in detail how your training, education and experience has prepared you for this position and how you meet the qualifications. Your cover letter should include:
- An overview of your experience supervising and evaluating staff performance and managing library services for a culturally diverse customer population.
- A description of your experience developing or reimagining library services and leading staff through change, and
- A description of how your efforts lead to improved performance or operations.
Please use the space provided in the Supplemental Questions section of the online application for your cover letter or attach it to your online application
Work location and hours of work: Full-time 40 hours per week, including some evening and weekend work. Actual work schedule is determined by the needs of the work location; assignment location could change over time. The current vacancy is at the Shirlington Library, 4200 Campbell Avenue, Arlington.
The official title of this position is Librarian Supervisor.
Arlington County Government employee benefits depend on whether a position is permanent, the number of hours worked, and the number of months the position is scheduled.
Specific information on benefits and conditions of employment can be found on the Arlington County Human Resources Department website: (see application details)
Permanent, Full-Time Appointments
All jobs are permanent, full-time appointments unless otherwise stated in the announcement. The following benefits are available:
Paid Leave : Vacation leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. Leave accrual increases every three years until eight hours of leave are earned biweekly for twelve or more years of service. Sick leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. There are eleven paid holidays each year.
Health and Dental Insurance : Three group health insurance plans are offered - a network open access plan, a point-of-service plan, and a health maintenance organization. A group dental insurance plan is also offered. The County pays a significant portion of the premium for these plans for employees and their dependents. A discount vision plan is provided for eye care needs.
Life Insurance : A group term policy of basic life insurance is provided at no cost to employees. The benefit is one times annual salary. Additional life insurance is available with rates based on the employee's age and smoker/non-smoker status.
Retirement : The County offers three vehicles to help you prepare for retirement: a defined benefit plan, a defined contribution plan (401(a)), and a deferred compensation plan (457). The defined benefit plan provides a monthly retirement benefit based on your final average salary and years of service with the County. You contribute a portion of your salary on a pre-tax basis to this plan. General employees contribute 4% of pay; uniformed public safety employees contribute 7.5% of pay. Employees become vested in the plan at five years of service. The County also contributes to this plan.
For general employees, the County also contributes 4.2% of pay to a defined contribution plan (401(a)) . The County also matches your 457 contribution, up to $20 per pay period, in this plan. The 457 deferred compensation plan allows you to set aside money on either a pre-tax (457b) or post-tax (457 Roth) basis up to the IRS annual limit. New employees are automatically enrolled with a pre-tax contribution equal to 2% of your base pay.
Other Benefits: The County also offers health, dependent care, and parking flexible spending accounts; long-term care insurance; tuition assistance; transit and walk/bike to work subsidies; a college savings plan; wellness programs; training opportunities; and a variety of other employee benefits.
Permanent, Part-Time Appointments:
Part time employees who work ten or more hours per week receive paid leave and benefits in proportion to the number of hours worked per week.
Limited Term Appointments:
Benefits are the same as permanent appointments except that the employees do not achieve permanent status.
Temporary Regular Appointments:
Temporary regular employees who work 30 hours or more per week are eligible for health, dental, and basic life insurance as described above. They are also eligible for vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays.
Temporary Seasonal and Occasional Appointments:
Temporary employees who work on a seasonal basis or variable hours receive sick leave, but do not normally receive other paid leave or benefits. Exceptions are noted in individual announcements.