Location: Milwaukee - Wisconsin
The Business Manager is responsible for management of product line including product planning, product definition, profit and loss, forecasting, product margin, promotion and product life cycle management and developing strategies to optimize the performance of existing and new products.
This position is responsible to accelerate growth globally by leading the initiation of customer driven product development activities, working with channel development resources to implement market making sales practices, and by connecting product capability to helping customers get their jobs done better and faster.
Also responsible for coordinating with development engineering and manufacturing regarding the activities of strategic business partners relative to assigned products. Works closely with Strategic Marketing, Sales, third party partners and other Rockwell product groups.
- Generate customer-driven new product development strategies that meet business goals for revenue growth and profitability and that enable customers to get better results quickly when they choose to partner with Rockwell Automation.
- Collaborate with SIC Rockwell Automation Product Management and Marketing Organization to develop commercial strategies that enable successful segment growth and to build market making sales competency with regards to the panel business.
- Identify and build successful partnerships with strategic suppliers and channel partners.
- Drive productivity programs that lower product and business costs and improve profitability and market success.
- Lead organization to identify and build out key customer marketing themes that improve the success of new product development and contribute to commercial sales growth.
- Define the architectural strategy and content of the product line, including performance objectives and functional specifications with cost, price and reliability objectives
- Determine the total market (domestic and international) and available market for the product line and for preparing product demand forecasts. Responsible for meeting market share and product line profitability commitments to the business.
- Determine product pricing and recommended pricing policies based on established gross margin objectives and preparation of plans for margin improvement where necessary. Cost data must be obtained from Engineering and Operations to justify product viability and must be monitored during product life cycle to insure cost reduction and gross margin objectives.
- Product promotion and product introductions, including sales and support staff training. Also responsible for product promotion plans including trade shows, product literature plan, product training plan and product distribution plan to achieve business objectives. Responsible for coordination with Sales Division, Commercial Marketing, CSM and SSB and other groups as appropriate to implement the plans.
- Competitive analysis and formulation of competitive counter strategies for all new products and existing products. Prepares a quarterly competitive review for each product along with an annual report that is used as a basis for the Strategic Plan.
- Product life cycle management including initiation of product improvements, enhancements, approval of change notices and product obsolescence consistent with business objectives.
- Attend technical symposiums and exhibits on industrial control systems to maintain knowledge on available and competitive technology and for presenting papers and seminars as appropriate to promote RA products.
- Responsible for assisting with project management of product development, including subcontract management, project schedule needs and tracking, resolution of product testing issues and other tasks as required to complete developments per market needs.
- Responsible for developing short and long-range product line business plans consistent with market needs and strategic plans. Reports deviation from approved plans at least quarterly and recommends corrective action.
- Provide leadership in decision-making and problem-solving to ensure successful product line business performance.
- Responsible for obtaining agreement with Engineering and Operations on product implementation plans, for measuring progress against plans and for acting as product program manager to measure and direct compliance with plans.
- Responsible for coordination of the activities with strategic business partners and standards organizations in order to achieve strategic objectives.
- Responsible for interacting with support groups within A&S for support of customer projects, quotations and sales presentations. Provides product specifications, pricing and availability plus product presentations.
- Responsible for defining and communicating market and customer requirements through interaction with Project Teams, Business Teams, and other departments to maximize market success.
- Responsible for providing a 5+ year market focus of financially and/or strategically critical product line(s).
- Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering discipline such as Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or a Computer Science Degree.
- A minimum of 5 years combined experience in Product Marketing, Product Management or Technical Sales to industrial customers.
- Automation industry knowledge required, with control system background desired.
- Proven ability to align and lead cross functional, cross organizational teams of people.
- Developing sales strategies for market making-products, technology to surpass AOP goals.
- Successful past performance capturing customer input and using it to develop product development and commercial messaging strategies.
- Successful past performance with Product Management or Technical Sales in the Factory Automation market space.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and influencing capabilities, efficient in Microsoft Office products, and an ability to work with a geographically dispersed team to achieve position objectives.
- MBA preferred
- This position requires a minimum of 20% travel time.
"This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor."
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (see application details).